LegacyGT.com

CD changer wiring

dday52

I was hoping an owner with a 1997 Legacy with a factory installed 6 disk under seat cd changer might be able to help me.

I accidentally pulled the wires out of the connector socket, rather than pulling the socket out of the cd changer. There are 11 wires, all solid colors. The CD changer is a Panasonic model CX-CF1410F. It also says Subaru on it.

It would be great if somone with the same changer could look under the passenger seat and send me/post a list and/or picture of which colored wire goes in each socket. Maybe the hookup be the same for nearby model years?

I've tried calling Panasonic and Subaru for help. Pansonic says take it to the dealer. The dealer says they don't have the info I need. A new harness is $280, though! The info on the web I've been able to find shows different colored wires than mine, e.g. red with black stripe, etc.

Try asking Subaru of America -- they may be able to dig up the wiring diagram for that harness.

Do you have contact info for them? I talked to someone at Subaru, but it turned to be a dealer-only help line. They said work through the dealer who i'd guess would end up tracing the wires.

Someone suggested I call junk yards to see if they have one on the lot. Perhaps the entire harness from that source would much be less than the $280 the dealer wanted.

Customer Service: 1-800-SUBARU3 (1-800-782-2783)

Hours of Operation:

8:30 a.m. - 7:00 p.m. (EST) Monday through Thursday

10:30 a.m. - 5:00 p.m. (EST) Friday

Shown on Contact Us link (scroll down)

Just explain your situation (dealer not offering much help) and be persistant (politely).

My local dealers have been very good about printing off a page or two from the wiring diagrams. If the SoA folks can at least help you identify the correct diagram, you may be able to go back to the dealer to have them print a copy.

Archived