LegacyGT.com

cam seal leak!!!

well i had a JDM EJ25 put in 30 days ago and the guy said he replaced all seals, long story short I was 4 hours from home visiting family and when i stoped to get a bit to eat I noticed an oil puddle under the car!!!! I was able to get the car to to my familys house and at first I thought I just needed to replace the valve cover gasket, with limited tools in a drive way I repaced the gaskets fired the car up to find oil still leaking!!!

Then it hit me that I got F@#% and the guy probable did not replace shit, no way in hell I can replace cam seals in a driveway with 3 wrenches, rachet and socket set so I am paying a shop 450 to replace all the seals on the front. the shop said they will keep the old seals so I can take them to the guy that installed the engine, I know he will tell me to go f@%# my self but I plan to tell him a thing or two myself. oh and the shop that installed my engine was Eric Japan in Chicago so buyer beware!!!!!! I will update this post when I get the seals and car back and when I confront Eric Japan

Sorry to hear that.. but what's a good habit is when I get my work done, ask the mechanic to give you all the old parts back. Do this before they start the work so there's some proof/evidence that work was done on the car..

A little piece of mind that a lot of people over look and can prevent things like this from happening.

Sorry to hear that.. but what's a good habit is when I get my work done, ask the mechanic to give you all the old parts back. Do this before they start the work so there's some proof/evidence that work was done on the car..

A little piece of mind that a lot of people over look and can prevent things like this from happening.

Good idea in theory, but I find looking at a bunch of old parts seldom changes anything if the shop is out to rip you off.

Its not hard to show someone a box of old parts and tell them the parts are from their engine.

Unless you actually see the engine with the parts removed, you really haven't anyway of knowing you received what you are paying for.

Would any of us really be able to tell if a cam seal was from a Mazda and not from a Subaru by looking at it? Maybe... if we worked on Subaru's everyday,but odds are good that for the most part, the answer is no.

Remember, shops have an endless supply of old parts at any given time.

Always ask to see the work in progress if you really want to be sure, and only do this if you know what you're looking at. In other words... study up a little on the work before hand. Doesn't take much in the age of the Internet to know what to look for.

If the people doing the work will not let you see the work being done...you may have a problem. Excuses such as "our insurance will not allow you in the shop", is a big red flag.

Why not talk to the guy first and see what he says before flaming him? Mechanics occainly screw up as well as anyone else. Since its leaking that bad I'm thinking maybe he screwed it up when he installed it. He would have to be a real idiot to think that he could get away with selling an engine that leaked that bad.

Give him a call, if he is honourable he will ask you to bring it back so he can fix it.

I would have loved to take the car back to him except I am 8 hours away visiting family so when my car is fixed they are giving me the old seals so I can ask determine/confront the mechanic. Plus how the hell do you mess up installing a cam seal, I have installed alot of seals and if you cant correctlly install a cam seal you have no place as a certified mechanic. Just to add to it the seal was fine for over 30 days so I will go out on a limb and say they left the old ones which just went out, it was not leaking right after install.

Archived