LegacyGT.com

coolant additive

Ok i saw this thing when i was randomly looking around. I had my friend who works at jiffy lube change my coolant with whatever the stuff they use there on the side while he worked. Will i be fine just getting that stuff and throwing it in?

hes my friend. and hes really into his wrx and subaru's. Plus i watched everything he did lol. gave me a chance to be underneath the car and look at stuff.

As long as you trust him! I have heard too many stories over the years of over/underfilled crankcases, inadequately refilled coolant, stripped/crossthreaded oil plugs, etc.

It is always good to have a friend who knows about cars and is into the same cars as you! All the friends I have who are into cars are new friends from the forum!!!

The Subaru coolant additive should be added to the mix of Subaru brand Antifreeze and distilled water The additive($2.00) is an inexpensive item and is recommended by Subaru. Do it.

The additive ($2.00) is an inexpensive item and and is recommended by Subaru for 1996-99 and 2003-2003 EJ25 engines. Also, it could clog up your radiator, since it's rebadged Holt's Radweld. Would you put that in your coolant if you didn't have any leaks?

More info on the TSB: http://www.subaruheadgasket.com/vehicleyear.htm

the website you posted doctorbody says that earlier versions 1996-1998 do not need the treatment? but you guys are saying its good.

I am noticing coolant leaks in m 1998 gt or rather im just seeing the overflow and rad getting a bit low

They put in my 05 at the dealership when they replaced my headgaskets at 90,000. Subaru of Plano also sold me some the week before that when I purchased new radiator caps and had to replace coolant.
BE committed to DO what it takes to HAVE more of what you want in your life!!!

heh forgot to say i decided against it since i read somewhere its rebadged radiator stop leak

Its not radiator stop leak because it targets the head gasket itself and shouldnt cause any build up in your car.

For a car manufacturer to actually put an additive in place is a big deal and subaru would not have done it if it wasnt benificial,

Its like Toyota fixing there shit cars, they dont want to admit the problem so they come up with a jiffy fix, although the additive probably doesnt help to much, its a way for subaru to say that they did do something to help its consumers out.

MY QUESTION IS IS IT RECOMMENDED ON a 1998 EJ 25 because i thought it was only for 3rd gens

More info on the years affected. http://users.sisna.com/ignatius/subaru/headgasket.html

Subaru Coolant Conditioner = Radweld = Radiator Stop Leak = Liquid Head Gasket

The conditioner IS holt's radweld. I mean, it says Holt's right on the bottle.

http://i143.photobucket.com/albums/r129/doctorbrody/holts-radweld-hi.jpg

http://i143.photobucket.com/albums/r129/doctorbrody/holtsradweld1.jpg

Bassmaster says it shouldn't cause any build up in your car though, and that sounds like a well-researched stance. Pfft.

Can this thread die yet?

why would subaru brand something thats gonna harm your car?

I mean it is kind of a jerry rig putting off the 1500$ head gasket replacement but i mean if u just wanna cough up the dough quicker do it that way it is your decision.

and all of you can argue against this but my engine is unaffected by this kind of leak since its phase 1 so your right I dont have all the research, answers or experience

Theoretically you put in the "conditioner" each coolant change, and that's the last of that issue they have from you. Then at 160k the car ends up in a junk yard and everyone's happy.
[CENTER][B][I] Front Limited Slip Racing Differentials for the 5EAT now available for $1895 shipped, please inquire for details! [/I][/B][/CENTER]

Archived