LegacyGT.com

Interested in a LGT--when is best to buy?

bradygo

I’ve been following the website for about a month, and finally decided to sign up to post my first question! I’ll start with a little background, first. Here goes.

I am looking for a new car, and am quite a fan of the new Legacy. At risk of exposing myself as a proponent of what many of you would call conservative, ‘toyota-like’ styling, this is the first car that’s ever drawn me to Subaru. I had all but dismissed the company as having, as I saw it, less than stylish cars.

After doing the regular loop through conventional mid-sized sedans (accord, altima, CC, sonata, fusion), I was left wanting. Even the sportier versions of each car lacked performance, and the exteriors were nothing to write home about, either. Enter the Legacy. I saw it while leaving the joint Subie/Nissan dealership by me, and thought to myself “that doesn’t look like any Subaru I’ve ever seen before.” After a test drive, I’m hooked.

I drove the 3.6 and loved it, but wouldn’t mind a manual and a bit more power. Plus, I’m used to a spooled up 4cyl, so I should feel right at home with the LGT. I am currently waiting for a dealership near me to get one in to do a test drive. I love the space, the understated styling (classy without flashy), AWD, the power, and the size of the car. 18” rims and a hood scoop help, too!

Why do I want a car you ask? Maybe you didn’t ask, but I’m going to tell you anyways. I currently drive a 06 Passat—a car that I intended to keep for many years. I like it a good bit, but it’s been a nightmare with breakdowns. So far I’ve had 2 steering columns replaced, gas cap, fuel line, evap canister, control arms, etc replaced. I’ve been in the shop monthly, and I’m getting sick of loaners. My warranty is up in ~7-10k miles, and I am worried that breakdowns will slowly chip away at my pocketbook. Each one of those replaced steering columns would have cost me 1700-2k if I didn’t have the warranty.

So I’ve been thinking of getting a new car. The tough bit is, I’ve put on a lot of mileage for work and may be upside down on my Passat, depending on what I can get for it in a private sale.

So here are some questions:

1.Does Subaru ever offer purchase incentives? Every manufacturer is throwing around factory rebates like they’re candy in this economy. I understand that Subie is doing just fine, but should I hold out for some kind incentives?

2.Should I wait until the 2011 model comes out? I could, at that point, decide whether new gizmos attract me to the new model or to go with a slightly reduced price 2010 model? The only downside to this option is that I can’t advertise my current car as having warranty left, as it will probably be exhausted at that point.

I will probably have a few more questions in a bit. Thanks for your help!

The answers to your questions

1. I believe there is a sticky in this forum that tells you how to get a subie at a low cost without some of the markups. I've never really read through it to know what is involved.

2. If you want the LGT, I wouldn't wait until 2011 because they've supposedly discontinued the GT model starting with 2011 MY. That would make the 5th gen LGT harder to come by. If you just want the v6, go ahead and wait.

These are just my opinions though. Take 'em or leave 'em.

It's cool; I'm with the band

supposedly discontinued the GT model starting with 2011

Where did that rumor come from? I find that hard to believe.

Most of the reviews of the '10 complained that the V6 was pointless and that the 2.5T should be the top engine.

Or are you implying that the Ltd will get the turbo in '11, making the GT redundant?

I checked out that sticky, but I need to be a member of a participating program for at least 6 months to qualify. In a roundabout way, it looks like you're advocating that I wait.

Is there any confirmation that the LGT is discontinued?

Turns out I misread something on a forum somewhere else. Someone was ranting about the wagon being discontinued in the US, but constantly referred to it as the "LGT" and not the "wagon". I came in on like page 4 out of 6 in the thread and everyone kept saying LGT instead of wagon. I just assumed it was the 2011 MY since they've already got a 2010 LGT. I went back and re-read the entire thread. My bad.

Although with the way they're moving toward a traditional family sedan over a sport sedan with the LGT, it wouldn't surprise me if they dropped the turbo and made us switch to WRX or STi for a turbo Subie.

It's cool; I'm with the band

Another question is: is there any indication what differences there my be, if any, between the 2010 and 2011 LGT? Integrated Exhaust? Push Start?

Nobody knows yet. Will probably be at least another month before we get anything definitive

Does Subaru offer rebates often?

No rebates for 2010 models. Lower percentage on financing only. Who knows for 2011. Since Subaru is selling double over last year less Tribeca), seems like they may not offer rebates anytime soon.

Archived