LegacyGT.com

Accessories: Front Strut Brace

turboliberty

I do wonder about the ultimate effectiveness of this part, given the proximity of the strut towers to the firewall on Subarus. With Imprezas, for example, even the much-stiffened WRX, front braces are little more than eye candy, because the car is already stiff, augmented by the towers' relationship to the firewall. A more effective use, people have found, is the lower brace sold by companies like Cusco or STi. Kevin

[quote name='Drift Monkey']Is this an STi part?[/quote] Yes it is an STi part. To some this part may be nothing more than "bling". To others that drive their car hard enough this does offer some added rigidity. No matter how stiff a manufacturer claims their car to be a strut brace creates a solid link across the top strut towers. There will always be some flex on hard turns. 8)

If you track your car, it may be a good addition, if not, it's pretty frivolous. As Kevin noted, the structure and placement of the strut towers make the overall design rather rigid, so for MOST street cars it's mind over matter or just plain bling. At least there is a lot worse bling out there. There are better things to spend money on for street cars, but there are also definitely worse things.

[quote name='brady_bunch']Please tell me it is not STi "hot pink". If it is then no sale here.[/quote] I actually don't mind the cherry blossom red. You people have homophobia or something! :lol: If it fits in the bay well and Cusco doesn't come out with a better piece, I'd probably end up getting this one.

[quote name='turboliberty'][quote name='Drift Monkey']Is this an STi part?[/quote] Yes it is an STi part. To some this part may be nothing more than "bling". To others that drive their car hard enough this does offer some added rigidity. No matter how stiff a manufacturer claims their car to be a strut brace creates a solid link across the top strut towers. There will always be some flex on hard turns. 8)[/quote] If you are turning the car hard enough to flex a body as stiff as the Legacy's, a metal bar attached with nuts that have a 15 lb-ft torque spec isn't going to keep it from flexing, I'm sorry to report. If you're tracking the car, the same applies. Put a cage in it, or don't bother, IMHO. But hey, strut tower braces look really cool, and they aren't that expensive. And if people think they matter, then they do. Kevin

[quote name='gtguy']If you are turning the car hard enough to flex a body as stiff as the Legacy's, a metal bar attached with nuts that have a 15 lb-ft torque spec isn't going to keep it from flexing, I'm sorry to report. If you're tracking the car, the same applies. Put a cage in it, or don't bother, IMHO. But hey, strut tower braces look really cool, and they aren't that expensive. And if people think they matter, then they do. Kevin[/quote] So basically, I was right. They are nothing more than *bling* :lol:

[quote name='Drift Monkey'][quote name='brady_bunch']Please tell me it is not STi "hot pink". If it is then no sale here.[/quote] I actually don't mind the cherry blossom red. You people have homophobia or something! :lol: [/quote] :D Yeah, I like Cherry Blossom, too. What's the big deal? It's not like you're the one wearing pink. LMAO

Guest *Jedimaster*
I wonder if they'll offer a rear brace for the wagon? The front brace in my WRX wagon was pretty useless, but the rear made a nice difference.

[quote name='jedimaster']I wonder if they'll offer a rear brace for the wagon? The front brace in my WRX wagon was pretty useless, but the rear made a nice difference.[/quote] I'm not sure it'll even be needed. THe rear looks stiff enough as it is!! :o

[quote name='turboliberty']Just an FYI- 2005 Legacy GT front strut tower brace is available, P/N ST2050021000 and it list for $329.95. It's made to clear the intercooler on the turbo models so I'm sure it will fit all the other non-turbo cars also. 8)[/quote] Looking at the specifications of the USDM 25GT and the JDM models They look really identical as such I believe the parts are quite interchangeable. For body strengterning parts am using CUSCO kits can visit my webshots to get an idea of wat I had done to my GT (its a Euro 20GT). [url]http://community.webshots.com/user/eavr4[/url]

Archived