LegacyGT.com

Need help about this part????

On my legacy wagon, the tire size is on a sticker in the doorframe...drivers door I think.

The manual calls for the following settings on the rear axle for my legacy outback:

toe-in 0.0 +/-.12" (that's like, +/- 1/8")

camber -0degrees 35' +/-0degrees 45' (that's almost vertical)

wheel arch height 16.5"

thrust angle 0degrees +/- 20'

I dunno which car you have, If the parts look straight, the shop should be able to get into spec. Otherwise they need to explain why they can't get it set, ie: a part is bent, or a mount point needs pulled into place.

The toe-in is set with the cam bolts on the lateral links. Make the wheel point straight ahead. Wrong toe-in can wear tires very quick.

The bolts on the bottom of the strut are used to set camber, make the wheel vertical on a level surface. The top bolt changes the camber as its turned.

The camber can be off quite a bit, look at cars on the highway & you will see some leaning in. Some cars will collapse the unibody inward at the top of the rear strut as they age, it can be so bad, you need to pull the body back out with a frame machine.

Thrust angle is where the car is rolled ahead and you want the center of the rear track following behind the center of the front track. (you don't want the car going sideways down the road) to adjust it, you tweak the toe-in at the back.

I have a 1998 Legacy Outback, the manual calls for a P205/70-R15 95S if its a 2.5 engine and OUTBACK or SUS. For GT its a 16 inch tire. For 2.2 engine, it calls for 14, 15, or 16 inch tires, but, its based on model and FWD or AWD.

It's funny, the car I bought was for sale by the original owner when I first looked at it, two tires were shot. He sold it to a guy that had it for a week before he decided it was too much work to fix up. When I went to look at the car the second time, the guy said the tire shop told him it had wrong size tires. They didn't have the correct size, so they put two tires of a wrong size that were close enough on the back. I walked over to the door frame & read off the tire size specified from subaru, and it was the tires that were still on the front. I bought two tires to match the front & its OK.

I suggest you see if you can find the sticker on the car, since it seems to be a special model, (Anniversary).

Archived