LegacyGT.com

perrin tmic install

Jimmy78

You will be fine. If anything your tune just got conservative.

So we are sure about this? I'm in the same boat: I just bought a used Perrin TMIC, and I'm trying to decide if it's OK to install now, or whether I should wait until just before I get a new tune, which won't happen for another 3-4 weeks still.

My initial thinking was that, as the air goes through the Perrin TMIC, it would be cooled more than the stock IC. Cooler usually = denser, right? And denser would mean more air quantity (mass) enters the cylinder, for the same amount of gasoline, which would = a lean condidtion.

But that doesn't make logical sense, either, as there is no way for the total quantity of the air (mass) to increase like that: the amount of air that the MAF measures is the same amount of air that enters the cylinders, no matter what happens to it in between, right? And A/F ratios are based on the mass #, yes? So that would mean that the IC has zero affect on the A/F ratio, wouldn't it? The other consideration is the pressure drop across the IC, which would be different for the Perrin vs. the stock TMIC... so how would that affect the performance?

I'm confused, so I'm just interested in an explanation that's a little bit more technical to explain how the tune gets "a little more conservative" with the aftermarket TMIC. Thanks in advance for your time. :cool:

Seek first to understand, then to be understood.

In other words: SEARCH before you post!

So we are sure about this? I'm in the same boat: I just bought a used Perrin TMIC, and I'm trying to decide if it's OK to install now, or whether I should wait until just before I get a new tune, which won't happen for another 3-4 weeks still.

I'm confused, so I'm just interested in an explanation that's a little bit more technical to explain how the tune gets "a little more conservative" with the aftermarket TMIC. Thanks in advance for your time. :cool:

The intercooler allows you to advance your timing. Advancing your timing without an intercooler causes knock. Advancing your timing = more power.

In my case, I can (basically) run a 93oct tune with 91oct because of my FMIC. It allows me to run more agressive timing which I would knock on CA piss gas.

Adding your intercooler without tuning means that you are running retarded timing making your tune, well, "a little more conservative";)

(retarded as in held back not as in stupid:))

We should get together sometime scooter. You are just a hop down the 110 from me.

The air is cooler, not denser. Air volume is calculated at the MAF (pre-turbo/intercooler)

The turbo is a compressor. It compresses air. The turbo is not compressing the air any more than before. The inlet air temperature rises due to the compression. The intercooler cools the compressed air before entering the motor.

Because the Perrin cooler is stronger (won't break at the seams) it can hold more boost. Because it is larger and more efficient (with minimal to no pressure drop) it can support more boost. Because the inlet air temp is cooler you should be able to run more advanced timing.

More boost=more power.

More advanced timing=more power.

Running a more efficient intercooler might actually give you slight gains in low end torque even without a tune. You are just leaving horespower on the table. It will not harm the car, just make the tune more "conservative" because you should have a cooler inlet air temp allowing for more advanced timing.

Your boost pressure should be the same or slightly lower (if the Perrin core has more pressure drop than the OEM). Resetting the ECU after install might allow the computer to make a small adjustment to compensate for a minimal pressure drop across the IC giving you proper boost pressure.

I have run a FMIC on the tune for a stock TMIC. No issues or knock. Just left power on the table.

I have run a FMIC on the tune for a stock TMIC. No issues or knock. Just left power on the table.

Come to think of it, didn't we go and do several pulls immediately after installing my fmic without changing the tune and the log looked great?

^ Yes.

No knock. Hitting target boost fine. Not holding boost all the way up top because of pressure drop. No problems as far as safety.

Just not getting all the power you could. Infamous is in charge of that.

When I used my AVO TMIC I had no pressure drop issues. Able to raise boost target to 18psi and hold 12 psi to redline. 15psi at 5500 rpm. Allowed me to run more advanced timing too. Deff made more power.

^ Yes.

No knock. Hitting target boost fine. Not holding boost all the way up top because of pressure drop. No problems as far as safety...

AVO TMIC I had no pressure drop issues. Able to raise boost target to 18psi and hold 12 psi to redline. 15psi at 5500 rpm. .

^ There you have it. We installed a FMIC (much more drastic change than your TMIC) and "no problems as far as safety" and there are your target numbers ^ for boost post install and tune!

Archived