LegacyGT.com

Can the Stock Head Unit handle a Subwoofer?

Jterp

Hey guys I own an 08 2.5i SE legacy. I want to instal a subwoofer two 10" or 12" along the 500w rms.... i have googled and spent a lot of time on the internet but have not been able to find anything that has to deal with my legacy's stock head unit... questions are:

a) can I instal a subwoofer to my stock HU?

b) if so, do I need any special cables, harnesses, etc?

c) Also, There seem to be a million different set ups, which one should i use?

Any help is greatly appreciate it!!

Thanks

Hey guys I own an 08 2.5i SE legacy. I want to instal a subwoofer two 10" or 12" along the 500w rms.... i have googled and spent a lot of time on the internet but have not been able to find anything that has to deal with my legacy's stock head unit... questions are:

a) can I instal a subwoofer to my stock HU?

b) if so, do I need any special cables, harnesses, etc?

c) Also, There seem to be a million different set ups, which one should i use?

Any help is greatly appreciate it!!

Thanks

1) You can install a subwoofer, but you MUST have an amp to run it. It will not work straight off the HU

2) You will need special cables, specifically LOC (Line Out Converter) that takes high level outputs and converts them to RCA type audio cables that you run to your amp. Or, an amp that accepts high level inputs.

3) Your milage may vary... Setups are a matter of personal preference... I have custom sub boxes in my trunk (refer to link in sig for the sub box for sale). I like them quite a bit and lose very little trunk space. I use a completely different method for my sound system, but for a while I did use the LOC to an amp and it worked fine. It wasnt the BEST solution, but it was A solution that worked well for what I needed at that particular time.

If I pass you on the right, I'm flipping you off.

Archived