LegacyGT.com

Going Car Shopping Tonight

Cardozzo

Well I have been doing the same type of thing. There are tons of threads out there in the pre-purchase questions.

http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php?t=10230

http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php?t=10494

Go to edmunds.com and look up the invoice price on the base lgt model, and get a list of all the options and their invoice price. Keep these handy. The best thing I found was to use the edmunds website to contact the dealer, and tell them you want the lgt with all the things and color, and you will pay $xx,xxxx for it. Then you already have the haggling done before you even walk in the door.

Also, keep in mind there is a rebate out there!

http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php?t=10717&highlight=rebate

Good luck and let us know how it goes!

I prefer to do my "haggling" face to face. Edmunds is great for info and stuff, but when it really comes down to it, your best bet is to show your an educated consumer and not be afraid to walk away or shop around.

I have not personally had much luck at all with contacting through the internet. In fact when i was looking to get my car last summer, it took over 3 weeks for 2 different dealers to get back to me. Not even a generic email, just nothing, then i got several calls after i had already made my purchase.

Guest *Jedimaster*
Advice: Don't drive a blue Legacy through Bloods territory and don't drive a red Legacy through Crips territory. LA is fun.

I would say the best way to get the price you want is to get several internet quotes from various dealers with exactly the options you want- Then take them to the dealer of your choice and say "beat this and I buy right now".

Can save you considerable money. I paid about $200 over net to dealer price for my LGT. (don't forget that invoice isn't what the dealer paid! You have to subtract dealer holdback, advertising allotment etc to find their true cost...)

also if you go in 'unsure' of what the exact price could/should be, or you add options there that you hadn't planned on, you will end up spending more than you have to. Some people prefer the good old fashioned car dealer fist fight where you walk out 6 times etc.... but not for me! (remember for the really good deal, give him your contact info, then really go home, and wait for him to call you in 2 days... even say something like "I am going to buy a car by XXX date...so give me a call if you seriously want to sell this one")There were several articles recently on how websales are killing your normal 'stand in the lot' salesmen. The margin on web sold vehicles is considerably smaller than the direct sale according to the Automotive dealers association. Consumer reports, and most financial websites recommend the web approach to at least get the base pricing set.

Shop around and before you make your decision, call Reza at Santa Monica Subaru (310) 319-3618 (he's in charge of the internet sales department) he's a straight shooter and great to deal with. He's on this forum too, under username "RezaLaleh". Give him a call now, and you'll see what I mean :D Have fun! :)
In Taiwan now...:spin:

Shop around and before you make your decision, call Reza at Santa Monica Subaru (310) 319-3618 (he's in charge of the internet sales department) he's a straight shooter and great to deal with. He's on this forum too, under username "RezaLaleh". Give him a call now, and you'll see what I mean :D Have fun! :)

Even if you don't have a Suby yet come over to the SFV Wednesday night meets, Reza will be there tonite and you can talk to other Suby owners regarding where they got their cars and different experiences with the other dealers. If you do decide to show up I'm the one with the black LGT wagon.

Here is the link

http://www.legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php?t=4301

Is Irvine still selling them below invoice and holdback? Not from Cali, but it seems like that would be a great deal if you could pull it.

From now until then end of the month Desiree Farey at Ivrine Subaru (The Owner), is selling all Legacys and Outbacks for $1200 off of dealer invoice. That's her whole holdback plus a bit more in some cases. She may even be able to do better than that but you'd want to ask her.

FWIW - She sold more cars out of her dealership last month than any other dealership in the U.S. That let's you know that she is focused on selling Subarus, and that's the only brand she sells.

Recommend giving her or her son Jeremy a call at 949-837-3500, and let them know that you saw this listed on LegacyGT.com. Figure out what make, model, color, equippage, etc., you want, then check here for inventory...http://www.irvine.subaru.com/en_US/frm_index.chtml?pageName=HomePage_1&noc=1&overrideUrl=f_HomePage_1.chtml. If they don't have it and it's in the area, they'll get it for you.

Good luck and let us know how it comes out.

FWIW - bought mine from Irvine Subaru in Jan 05 for $1188 below dealer invoice.

SBT

- Pro amore Dei et patriam et populum -

bigbutt, that does look good!Cardozzo,

There's supposedly a $1,000 rebate for the Legacy. Check out http://www.cars101.com/. Some good dealers are Irvine Subaru, Santa Monica Subaru, and Thousand Oaks Subaru.

SBT,

For Irvine Subaru, I wonder if the $1,000 rebate applies to that deal you spoke of above...

-ben

bigbutt, that does look good!Cardozzo,

There's supposedly a $1,000 rebate for the Legacy. Check out http://www.cars101.com/. Some good dealers are Irvine Subaru, Santa Monica Subaru, and Thousand Oaks Subaru.

SBT,

For Irvine Subaru, I wonder if the $1,000 rebate applies to that deal you spoke of above...

The deals are in addition to the rebate, so if rebates are available in SoCal, then it's $1200 + $1000 = $2200 off. May have to think about getting the wife's OBXT instead of the FXT.

SBT

- Pro amore Dei et patriam et populum -

All, thanks again for your help. I'm now the proud owner of a new white LGT wagon. I purchased it from Reza at Santa Monica Subaru and couldn't have asked for more. No one else could touch his price, including Irvine, and he hooked me up with just the options I wanted. As you all know, the car is excellent & I'm really happy with how it all worked out.

now onto the mods... (swapping for ausie steering wheel buttons for audio control [anyone done this yet?] & working out some kind of elegant ipod integration)

All, thanks again for your help. I'm now the proud owner of a new white LGT wagon. I purchased it from Reza at Santa Monica Subaru and couldn't have asked for more. No one else could touch his price, including Irvine, and he hooked me up with just the options I wanted. As you all know, the car is excellent & I'm really happy with how it all worked out.

now onto the mods... (swapping for ausie steering wheel buttons for audio control [anyone done this yet?] & working out some kind of elegant ipod integration)

Congrats on your new car! and Reza at Santa Monica Subaru is da man...super friendly and "untouchable price" Reza gave me much more for my trade-in than other places!! So those of you planning on getting a car...shop around first and then give Reza a call! He will take care of you :D

Now...on with the mods :p

In Taiwan now...:spin:

Congrats on the new car, I'm currently considering upgrading from a wrx to the legacy. I'd appreciate it if you could let me know what kind of deal that you got, and whether the $1000 rebate was valid or not?

Thanks,

Fred

Archived