LegacyGT.com

radar install location on left?

sde

do you think it would affect the forward affectiveness of a radar detector if it was mounted on the window to the left of the steering wheel? (usdm)

there's a few permanent radar stations setup around my neighborhood in school zones to warn people of their speed and i was testing against those. the V1 is so sensitive i can't see the placement making that much of a difference.

Height should make WAY more difference than placement from left to right. As long as you're mounting the detector somewhere high on the windshield I think you'll get optimal performance, though with laser being something of an issue you probably need to keep it out of the darker tint band at the very top. I like to keep mine near the rear view mirror since that area is clear of the visors all the time. I think there's a real improvement in range with having it up off the dash. That said, I haven't mounted it in a Legacy yet... I'm still agonizing on what car to buy. ;)

DKB

That's kind of a pet peeve of mine - people in sporty cars with a radar detector mounted in a poor location. Doh! Totally defeats the purpose. Your proposed location doesn't sound too bad, except reception would be diminished by the A and C pillars.

The worst is when they have them sitting on the dash, or they have super dark metallic tint windows.

The BEST place to mount your radar detector is just below the rearview mirror, dead center of the windshield. Other places, including too far behind the mirror, could impeed detection from the rear. I don't like it there 'cuse it takes away some of the stealthiness, but I want full coverage, not just the tip. :lol:
2005 Subaru Legacy 2.5 GT Luxomissle waGONE

I suppose that is true, if you are talking about laser, but radar emissions aren't line of sight, nor are they tightly focused.. This means the waves are bouncing all over the place. A radar detector mounted anywhere on the upper half of the car would receive these waves without a problem.. Of course, A-pillars and such may cause deadspots, but the antenna's aren't perfect 360 degree anyway.. Now, put it in the engine bay and you may have a problem.. But the passenger compartment isn't a faraday cage.

• 3 years later...

I have my V1 mounted on the passenger visor and I pick everything up without any issues...front and rear. Radar warnings from both directions are over a mile. Laser is laser, you pick it up when they pull the trigger....again, no issues with laser being on the visor.

I have a dark blue subi and I have Veil on anything shiny as well as a lidar defusing cover on my front plate. I seem to get enough waring but I never know if they are targeting me or the cars in front of me. I do know on at least two occasions that it was me because they pointed at the rear of my car as I drove by.

V1 FTW! Saves me on a weekly basis:eek:

Archived