LegacyGT.com

5EAT Reverse Issue

skimann20

I have a 2005 Subaru Legacy Gt Wagon that has about 55,XXX miles on it. I've always owned a manual trany and this autothing is killing me... When I put the car into reverse (shift it faster than a snail) the engine just revs. Three point turns in the city are scary! Anyone else have this problem? is this common for Autos? The only way to get it into Reverse is to stop the car, say "I LOVE AUTO TRANYS! WHY DIDN'T I BUY A MANUAL?!" then shift it into reverse and it works like a charm? Thoughts? Thanks guys!

Hard shifting is normal in the cold. But your shifting into reverse problem is most likely not a VB problem, and is not normal. Hope it doesn't get worse, or rebuild time is in your future. Or don't reverse too much :lol: Sounds like a clutch to me. Plain as day.
[CENTER][B][I] Front Limited Slip Racing Differentials for the 5EAT now available for $1895 shipped, please inquire for details! [/I][/B][/CENTER]

Hard shifting is normal in the cold. But your shifting into reverse problem is most likely not a VB problem, and is not normal. Hope it doesn't get worse, or rebuild time is in your future. Or don't reverse too much :lol: Sounds like a clutch to me. Plain as day.

A clutch on an Auto tranny?

ahhh who knew :-)

http://auto.howstuffworks.com/automatic-transmission10.htm

Nice try at being a smartass but yes, automatic trannies do have clutchpacks, go figure! They work like magic. ClimberD was referring to one of these clutches (should have been a dead giveaway since he referred to it as a clutch) out of the pack possibly have gone bad, or maybe a band, or possibly a solenoid gone bad.

From the moment you engage R, 1.5 to 2 seconds at most until gear engagement is normal per SOA. Opie, if this is what you are experiencing then it's normal. Yes, the car should be at a full stop before you do so. If the gear never engages or takes more than 2 seconds to do so, it is not normal. Check your transmission fluid level and have a drain done if you're at 55K miles and you haven't done it yet.

If it's not working properly, you'll know it. On cars where this kind of thing happens (assuming you have the problem) the shift delay after you put it in Reverse will get longer and longer average over time. Car Talk has had people call in reporting times of between 30 seconds and 1 minute. They suggested pushing the car off a bridge, or something like that. But on our cars I would say rebuild, or just ignore it as long as you can, provided you do some ATF drain and fills first. I have had good luck stopping increasing amounts of slipping by changing out old fluid. But then new fluid doesn't fix the existing wear, just stops new wear from adding. But this may or may not be your issue, as you provide an incomplete picture.

How many times have you changed the auto trans fluid?

for instance, zero = big oops

[CENTER][B][I] Front Limited Slip Racing Differentials for the 5EAT now available for $1895 shipped, please inquire for details! [/I][/B][/CENTER]

The service manual outlines a list of potential fixes and potential causes regarding this issue. The first stop is the ATF. Inspect level and condition, and go from there. Solenoid is one of the things listed on there.

• 2 months later...

Just checking back in. So I got the car into the shop and it turned out that it was the shift cable was loose. They adjusted it and it works like a dream now. thanks to all for the suggestions. they are always appreciated!

Cheers

Just checking back in. So I got the car into the shop and it turned out that it was the shift cable was loose. They adjusted it and it works like a dream now. thanks to all for the suggestions. they are always appreciated!

Cheers

So every single one of us was wrong :). I don't see how the shift cable could cause there to be a delay... Its not a highly variable mechanism... Hmm I didn't even see a way to adjust it, but maybe by twisting it... Will have a look.

Glad your shop found the issue and didn't do what many shops do (Oh yeah we heard it drive in, you definitely need a rebuild, $4000 please). In your case a rebuild wouldn't have fixed it either.

I was amazed too! Maybe this is what happens when the car is still under the power train warrantee... but at 60,001miles -> you're going to need a new tranny. I too can’t see how it was the cable but man i have no problems at all with it now. To top it off! The latch on my hatch stopped working so i figured it was going to be $140 fix and they fixed it for free! Are you kidding me... I should have gone and bought a powerball ticket, it was my luckiest day ever at a dealership! EVER!

I've experienced this 3 times on my 09 with under 7,000 miles. :( I don't know how repeatable it is but 2 times I was on a very slight incline and all 3 of them I was going from manual mode to reverse. I may also have experienced hesitation upon shifting back into "D."

Archived