LegacyGT.com

Q? about Amsoil for 5EAT

stealitall

If I use Amsoil ATF must I do a flush and fill and if so how many Quarts will I need to refill. Would Severe Gear 75W-90 be the best Oil for the Front and Rear diff and it should only take 1.5 Quarts each right??

ATF. You're looking at about 4 quarts per drain & fill. Do a few, with driving inbetween.

75w 90 anything is fine. I forgot the amount but it's very little. One of them I only got like .7 qts. Amsoil.com has all the measurements, or search the forum.

[CENTER][B][I] Front Limited Slip Racing Differentials for the 5EAT now available for $1895 shipped, please inquire for details! [/I][/B][/CENTER]

Draining will only replace 4-5 quarts of the total 10 in the system. In my opinion it's not a good idea to be mixing different formulation ATF which will have different additive packages. If anything you would end up dilluting the benefits of running Amsoil so why pay the money to begin with. The OEM fluid is plenty good for most driving conditions out there, I see no reason to switch unless you, well ... have a good reason.

Severe gear 75w90 is good, you will need a total of 3 quarts. 0.8 in the rear, 1.4-1.6 in the front differential, so you'll have fluid left. Realistically any good off the shelf synthetic 75w90 will work great, Pennzoil, Valvoline, Mobil 1, so don't go too much out of your way to get Amsoil. The only reason I went with Severe Gear is because I picked it up locally from a dealer which is basically on my way to work and it was for the same price as the others mentioned.

You will also need a T70 torx bit for the front drain plug. There is a how-to thread on here.

In my opinion it's not a good idea to be mixing different formulation ATF which will have different additive packages. If anything you would end up dilluting the benefits of running Amsoil so why pay the money to begin with. The OEM fluid is plenty good for most driving conditions out there, I see no reason to switch unless you, well ... have a good reason.

I do respect your view, and you also know mine. The fluid in there is already spent (hence you changing it assuming it's been a while), so it's not so OEM new fluid anymore. I have enjoyed fine results with the drain and fill method, on a couple finicky cars. I have not seen contrary results. I think Amsoil is a good enough reason if only because the atf flows so nicely at cold temps. I don't mind burning hundreds of dollars on it. Again, this is all just opinion stuff. There is NO data. OP, you really can't go wrong as long as you use your head and don't get too caught up in pointless details. And don't flush anything ;)

[CENTER][B][I] Front Limited Slip Racing Differentials for the 5EAT now available for $1895 shipped, please inquire for details! [/I][/B][/CENTER]

I agree with your assessment. I was saying just stick with OEM and do the drains like you indicated. Mixing Amsoil with OEM is meh. Even if you do repeat drains, that's quite spendy. IIRC our OEM is a blend at most, Amsoil is full synthetic. It's akin to topping off dino/blend oil with a different brand, different viscosity (not a wide margin, but the factor is there), synthetic. It won't kill the car but again, the benefits? By the time you do enough drains you'd probably end up selling the car :lol:

Archived