LegacyGT.com

Head bolts, stretch or not?

So Subikid90 made a good point, to keep this for others to learn. Yes all head bolts do stretch, but apparently the head bolts on a 98 2.5GT are not actual stretch bolts, which for those of you who don't who what those are, they basically are made so the bolt stretches (duh?), and after they are removed must be replaced. Being my original question. However, replacing head bolts, especially on Subbies isn't a bad idea, whats another $75 or so.

ALL bolts stretch when they are torqued. Really, you should never reuse any bolt (or nut), but I definitely wouldn't reuse bolts in the motor if you're taking the time to tune it up and want to end up with a reliable motor that will go another couple hundred thousand miles.

Ehh I just put the old ones back in.

This.

I have a mate who works at a subie dealership, and he says they always re-use the bolts.

Only time i'd say use new ones is if it's not the first time the engines been pulled apart, of if you were building a new engine from scratch. If it's just headgaskets, re-use. Said mate actually did build a new engine from scratch and re-used his bolts. That was a V3 STi engine, and he's making more power than me just fine on the old bolts. That said, 2Ls are far less prone to HG failure.

Cost for me for new bolts was $150CDN. I checked a few local places and they were all the same. I know I could probably get them cheaper off the net but I didn't want to wait a week for them so I reused the old ones. So far so good but its only been a week.......

ALL bolts stretch when they are torqued. Really, you should never reuse any bolt (or nut), but I definitely wouldn't reuse bolts in the motor if you're taking the time to tune it up and want to end up with a reliable motor that will go another couple hundred thousand miles.

The only way I can make any sense out of this statement, is if it was made by a nut and bolt salesman. Otherwise it's plain old fashioned BS.

Archived