LegacyGT.com

AWD system function

As for the center differential our cars have a whole bunch of variants.

• 6MT - Either DCCD differential (STi) or a standard differential with 50/50 and a viscous coupling like the 5MT.
  • 5EAT and later 4EAT - a planetary differential with a hydraulically operated clutch that limits the slip.
  • Earlier 4EAT - A hydraulically operated clutch pack, not very different from VW solution.
  • 5MT - A standard differential (50/50) with a viscous coupling that limits the slip.
  • Very early 5MT:s had a manually operated lock instead, but that was on the Leone.
  • 4MT:s had a driver engaged 4WD and optionally a low range selection and no differential at all so any difference in rotation between front and rear was taken care of by the tires.
  • 3AT/3EAT (You don't want to go there...)

You can find more at Wikipedia too: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Subaru_transmissions

But I suspect that even Wikipedia does miss some information.

453747.png

This is the issue, if you had some nice snow tire on the car you might have had a better time. I ran hankook winter iPikes on my 04 STI and I hit hills that were unplowed just to see the quality and they got me right up the hill. You cannot expect to do good in a good amount of snow if your on all season's or summer tire. It is a FAIL.

Yea, we get no snow in California and I go skiing like twice a year. Not worth it to get snow tires or all seasons. This is why I carried chains and they worked wonderfully for the 5 minutes I needed them. The rest of the time, there was just a dusting of snow on the ground and was no problem.

Archived