LegacyGT.com

Alternator capability

He guys i have a 2008 2.5 SE legacy.... i currently run low beam 6000k xenon lights and plan on buying a a 12" dual subwoofers 2000w peak... 600w rms. question is 1) can the alternator keep up with the energy needed to power up both? 2) later down the road i want to give my fog lights xenon bulbs (maybe 6000k)... could my alt handle the low beam xenons, the sub and then the fog lights?

thanks for your thoughts :)

6000k doesn't tell us how much power they draw... it only tells you the color of the light. From what I've seen, most low-beam Xenons are 55W setups, which is the stock power level... so they won't load the electrical system any more than regular halogens.

Fog lights - I expect you'll have to get similarly-wattaged bulbs there, too, so they will probably not draw much more power either.

Beware in both cases - if you're using the stock wiring, using more power than stock can cause the wires to burn up... just something to be aware of.

So, that leaves the stereo. 600W isn't a whole lot... but it really depends on how loud you play it, and how much bass is actually in the music. That being said, I'd say you're probably ok... you can always upgrade the alternator later on, if needed. However, I don't believe there are any "off the shelf" upgrades available for these cars... so you may need to have your stocker reworked.

And kudos for not saying you want to buy a capacitor to solve this potential problem!

Hey thanks for the reply... do you know if

a) can I install the Sub to the stock head unit?

b) if so, what would I need? besides the amp... like would I need any sort of special harness or whatnot

p.s.

the xenons are indeed 55w. and another question, are the stock fog light bulbs 55w too?

thanks.

Stock bulbs are 55W, from what I recall. 65W is a common upgrade done by many, as an over-wattage bulb... so it's certainly less than 65W. (Check the technical-exterior forums to find out more).

As for the sub - search the tech-interior forum for more detail there. I don't know the answer off the top of my head.

For the wiring, it all depends on how you want to do it - you need to do a bit more research on what your options are before deciding this.

I plan on using speaker-level outs from the HU, and putting them into the amp's speaker-input terminals, and then using an LP filter that's part of the amp. It's simple and works well enough (I've done this before). The stock HU doesn't have RCA or line-level outputs, so anything more would require more hardware changes (new radio, line-level converter, etc).

Power is just a matter of running new wires to the amp, etc.

Hey i'm having trouble finding a nice opening in the firewall... any pointers? or pics?

thanks

If you have an automatic, there should be a triangular(?) rubber grommet where the clutch master cylinder WOULD be if it was manual. It should be near the brake master cylinder if you're looking under the hood.

If it's a 5spd car, some run it through the passenger side of the firewall where the wires to the ECU go. That should be a big bundle of wires going into an even bigger rubber grommet.

I've never actually done this, but it's what I've collected on these forums from other audio installs. Other members are more than welcome to correct me if I'm wrong.

Archived