LegacyGT.com

newbie observation manual driving

i've been stalling like there's no tom. i drive my lgt like my integra. i must confess. i've burn a lil of my clutch. anyways i discovered that i can put the car in reverse and not engage the gas just slowly let go of the clutch. no more burning smell!! sorry, lil things excite me.

thanks

heh, stall saver is fun :-)

FWIW, I think the clutch is awesome.. Reminds me of my Centerforce Stage I, only easier on my left leg.. It's low and fast with lot less driveline lash thanks to the dual mass flywheel..

LESS driveline lash?

Lol must be driving a different car than my LGT which is driveline lash central. Clutch and flywheel are so worthless in this thing.... Which is strange as the STi's is nearly perfect.

Yep, must be a different car.. Quite honestly, I can modulate the gas pedal in 1st gear with no rubber-banding effect.. Fast shifts are much softer too.. Try driving a car with a cable performance clutch, and a hairtrigger accelerator.. It teaches you to drive smooth very quick.. Then see how much driveline lash you have...

when is wing night?

April 23rd at 6pm.. there's a thread/sticky for it in the Mid-A forum..

As for the clutch, no lashing for me.. totally smooth.. I get the occassional stall because I get too impatient with the car and just let off the clutch too fast.. there is a Clutch Delay Valve on the Master Cylinder to keep the shifting smooth (you'll notice it when you are cruising, and you slam on the clutch, the rpms stay up for .2 seconds to .5 seconds for effortless upshifting rev-matching).

Keefe

Keefe

LESS driveline lash?

Lol must be driving a different car than my LGT which is driveline lash central. Clutch and flywheel are so worthless in this thing.... Which is strange as the STi's is nearly perfect.

There's some, but probably about 5% of my last car... If you're feeling a lot of lash then you're just not driving properly.

April 23rd at 6pm.. there's a thread/sticky for it in the Mid-A forum..

As for the clutch, no lashing for me.. totally smooth.. I get the occassional stall because I get too impatient with the car and just let off the clutch too fast.. there is a Clutch Delay Valve on the Master Cylinder to keep the shifting smooth (you'll notice it when you are cruising, and you slam on the clutch, the rpms stay up for .2 seconds to .5 seconds for effortless upshifting rev-matching).

Keefe

Keefe, I've looked at the blowup and directly at the master cylinder. I'm not convinced that there is a CDV in the traditional BMW sense. The valve that is on the bottom may be there to help provide a "heft" to the pedal feel, since hydraulic clutches tend to be a little easy.. It's hydraulic fluid, which means it has little compressibility. There's no way to stop or slow the flow without your foot knowing about it. When you push the clutch in, once it reaches the floor, it's done.. You can't really delay that.

Now, the ECU will gladly fiddle with the throttle to ensure smoother shifts. This is what is probably happening.. It's especially in family cruisers with sticks, as you don't want to spill drinks or upset the wife+kids. Once the ECU has control of the throttle (or even with and idle valve) it can do all kinds of nifty things..

Archived