LegacyGT.com

235/40/17 or 18?

quick4dr

looking to run a 235/40 17 or 18 depending on rim choice either 17x8 or 18x8 rotas +48. what tire is recommended summer use only, I want sticky and good tread life. I love nitto 555's very aggressive tire sticks like glue, and i got about 20,000 miles out of my last set DD for 6 months of the year, ran them for just over 4 years.

opinions?

Dunlop dz101's

Dunlop sport Z1 star spec

nitto 555's

Cooper Zeons

... open to suggestions.

Depending on your suspension set up, I would go with 18s. I'm getting ready to upgrade my wheels and tires as well, once spring rolls around. I've heard good things about the Yokohama S.drive if its available in 235/40/18.
It's cool; I'm with the band

Just an FYI, I ran 18x8 et48 rotas with 235/40/18 on pink springs and they rubbed. Unless you have coilovers I would go with 225. I'm on BC coils now and I still have to roll the fenders

This will also vary on the tires you get since not all 235s are the same width. As far as your tire choices I'd go with the 555s or the star specs for summer

17" wheels for "performance" reasons... 18" for blinginess.

You do realize that the 235/40-17 is a smaller tire than the 235/40-18, right? They aren't the same overall diameter... you'd need a smaller tire on the 18" rim to get the same speed/gearing as the 17" wheel.

Granted, it's not a big speed difference, but I'd be more concerned with the width and size issues in the stock wheel opening with either of these 235s (I have heard 225 is the largest "safe" size on these cars, without other modifications...?)

Just an FYI, I ran 18x8 et48 rotas with 235/40/18 on pink springs and they rubbed. Unless you have coilovers I would go with 225. I'm on BC coils now and I still have to roll the fenders

This will also vary on the tires you get since not all 235s are the same width. As far as your tire choices I'd go with the 555s or the star specs for summer

Really? A bunch of people are running Rota Gravels 18 x 8 +48 with 235/40 and lowered with no rubbing issues. I'm concerened now since I'm on stock struts and Eibach springs. Many people said I will be ok. See the Rota Gravel thread in the last few pages for pics of lgt lowered with +48 on 235 on no running.

Really? A bunch of people are running Rota Gravels 18 x 8 +48 with 235/40 and lowered with no rubbing issues. I'm concerened now since I'm on stock struts and Eibach springs. Many people said I will be ok. See the Rota Gravel thread in the last few pages for pics of lgt lowered with +48 on 235 on no running.

also depending on tires, no all 235s are the same. Also how low your car is and the amount of camber. theres maybe 1 finger between my fenders and tires. I also have to add more camber. Then i wont be rubbing anymore.

also depending on tires, no all 235s are the same. Also how low your car is and the amount of camber. theres maybe 1 finger between my fenders and tires. I also have to add more camber. Then i wont be rubbing anymore.

Aaaaa I got you. My Eibachs left me with 2 finger space between my stock tires and fender. That should be enough

definatly a good thing to research.from all the readin give been doing on here and SL-I.net you definatly need to look if struts rub and if you need to roll fenders etc. also there are alot of thread talking about ride comfort and power issues. thought being that larger rims are heavier and maybe slow you down alittle and might make the ride little less comfortable. i too for awhile was thinking of doing 18's for the bling factor but feel now that maybe i should do 17's for better ride.

• 1 month later...

Archived