LegacyGT.com

Simple XM Roady install, with pics (56k awareness notice)

Mosca

This is the quick and easy install stuff, not the seamless stuff. When the FM modulator cables are available, I'll make it look nicer, but for now I did it quick.

First, mount the antenna. I read on the XM boards that it's better to mount it off center towards the middle of the road; less dropout that way.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v210/Mosca/DSCF9205.jpg

Next, run the wire under the weatherstripping around the windshield. I used a pen cap to prise and roll it in:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v210/Mosca/DSCF9215.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v210/Mosca/DSCF9217.jpg

At the bottom of the weatherstripping, I took advantage of this gap in the fender:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v210/Mosca/DSCF9206.jpg

It then runs down inside the door weatherstripping. I forgot to take that picture. Then I got lazy and ran it under the floor mat; I didn't feel like ripping the dash and carpet out:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v210/Mosca/DSCF9209.jpg

I put the Roady on the console behind the shifter, using double sided tape. I wanted to use velcro, but I couldn't find any. I used the power outlet from inside the center console:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v210/Mosca/DSCF9207.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v210/Mosca/DSCF9208.jpg

If I spent a half hour on this, I'd be surprised. I'll make a more permanent mount someday, but for now this is fine. You know, once you have your presets, you don't need to look at it to work it, so it doesn't need to be high up on the dash.

Tom

FRA-GEE-LAY... It must be Italian!

I figured you 5 speed guys might not have as much room there. I actually ran mine under the floormat, I still have other work I want to get done tonight!

Rick, I've found that once I set the presets, I don't have to look away from the road that much. I had mine clipped to the vent, and I hated that "added on" look. I'm going to put it in the cubbyhole eventually, probably trimming the plastic to make it a perfect fit. I'll have to get a new cubby for when the lease is up, though.

Tom

First, mount the antenna. I read on the XM boards that it's better to mount it off center towards the middle of the road; less dropout that way.

Tom

You should of just gotta Sirius...A LOT less drop out with the antenna in

ANY position in my experience.

I dunno, I'm a charter subscriber of XM and this is my third receiver. I'm satisfied with it. Have you had both? I'd say unless you were driving around with both radios on in the same car, with the antennas next to each other, you couldn't accurately make that claim.

I don't think either is better. If I got Sirius, I'm sure I'd be happy. If you got XM, I'm sure you'd be happy. Which service is better is a non-issue, IMO. If I could get a receiver with both, I'd have both.

Tom

I have spoken to my friends/co-workers who work with SDARS (Satellite Digital Audio Radio System, Delphi-speak for Sirius and XM) tuners all day, if you compare gen-for-gen chipsets, the XM wins hands down. Sirius backed themselves into a corner because they were the first with technology (although, XM was the first publicly available). Otherwise, the antenna systems are identical. In fact, you can use an XM antenna with Sirius and vice-versa since they use nearly the same frequency.

Of course, they insist that Sirius has the better programming, but I'll take my employee discount on XM equipment any day..

eamiller,

D72 has a bug on right now for this issue; He's bouncing all over the place slamming XM and pumping Sirius, looking for a fight.

It's a non issue. If he's happy with his Sirius, great. I'm happy with my XM. There's nothing left to debate. If someone else asks me which to get, I'd tell him to flip a coin, or pick the one that the receiver looks best in his car, or pick Sirius if he likes football and XM if he likes baseball, and then go on and enjoy the rest of his life and more important decisions.

Tom

[quote=Driver72

6. Owned and dealings with Satellite Radio's antichrist...Clear Channel Communications.

Proof that even with clear evidence, some people just refuse to listen.. If you don't understand, find one of the other threads where Driver72 spouts off about XM without checking his facts first..

They are both great, deal with it. It's really the difference between french vanilla and vanilla.

To the question at hand, yes I have had both.

In my Toyota Corolla I had XM. It dropped out A LOT...actually enough

to make it annoying. I hated XM's Rock and Roll channels.

They have 15 "Rock" channels. 5 of them are "Alternative" Rock. 4 of them

are "classic" rock. XMU is supposed to be "new" music...but it was pretty much just "were playing stuff you've never heard of, and it's just more

alternative/grundge type rock" that's not that good anyway.

Ethel plays "90's and Today's Alternative". But it's just that...all Alternative and often "rock" I've never heard of. Then there was Squizz which was

"Hard Alternative"....Is there a "soft" alternative? Those three channels are pretty much the same...and played the same, "what the h3ll is this" type rock.

Though I do not experience any drop outs of signals (and thats with my antenna mounted INSIDE my car). I do have to agree, I find some of the programming lacking.

I am a big alternative rock fan, and I find XM's Alt Rock channels to be lacking. I never though I would say it, but they play to much variety IMO. Its variety to the point, of it being weried stuff I have never heard (and don't like). I find my self constantly changing channels. I will find one playing a song I like, but then the next song is somthing totally different and weird, and so the channel hop continues.

I have been a XM subscriber for 2 1/2 years now and at this point could not go back to normal radio. I have already gotten used to no comercials, and find I have not paitience for them when I do attempt to listen to FM.

If anyone is in the Chicago area, I really enjoy Q101, espicially their "90's Nooner" Which is 90's hits during the 12 noon hour. I wish XM would play somthing alont those lines....

I wish I new some one in the area with Sirius, I wuold like to spend some time listening to it.

-Nick

Similar to my installation but I decided to go with the vent mount after first trying the console. I keep the remote on the console using velcro. I also decided to go with the accessory FM modulator/power cord for a much cleaner signal. I previously posted some of the pictures:

http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php?p=106338#post106338

I found by mounting the antenna a few inches above the rear window drop out is now almost gone. The higher you mount the antenna the better the signal as it maximizes the gound plane effect of the roof.

I hate that XM gave up the NASCAR contract and increased their rates to cover O&A who I never listen to.

driver72,

Now see, I find calling someone "gay" in a derogatory way and attacking their listening preferences is looking for a fight based on ad hominem attack rather than a serious debate of the issues. THOSE are the reasons I said you had a bug on and were looking for a fight. If a guy picks XM because he likes O&A, well, that's his reason. It's not mine, it's not yours, but he's not us.

I think that it's OK to choose Sirius over XM based on the politics of the Clear Channel monolith, but it's not OK to refer to them as "the antichrist". That's inflammatory rhetoric with no intent other than to (literally) demonize the opposition. Again, that falls into "looking for a fight" rather than a rational discussion of the issues. And you are obviously capable of rational discussion, based on your last post.

Hey, if I could get a receiver that had both, I'd have both. I might even add a separate Sirius tuner come football season, but I don't want the car littered with electronic add-ons and I like the cubbyhole. We'll see.

Tom

I am a big alternative rock fan, and I find XM's Alt Rock channels to be lacking. I never though I would say it, but they play to much variety IMO. Its variety to the point, of it being weried stuff I have never heard (and don't like). I find my self constantly changing channels. I will find one playing a song I like, but then the next song is somthing totally different and weird, and so the channel hop continues.

EXACTLY my point. That drove me nuts with XM.

I'd find a great song playing on Ethel, then...some grundge hard wacked out

song I've never heard of and wouldn't care for comes on.

Those type of songs were like 50-60% of the time.

I'd try XMU...same story

Try Squizz....it was like head banger Alternative...no thanks

Again, tried Sirius and I can leave it on Channel 21 "Alt Nation" and leave it

for HOURS and they'll play Blink 182, Weezer, Green Day, The Killers,

Ceasars, Queens of the Stone Age, etc etc and a HUGE mix of Alternative music that's a dream without hearing some whack job group that sucks. You do get new Alternative

on Sirius's Alt Nation, but the program director knows what is good and what

not to even bother with.

And if you grew up in the 80's (as I did) on rock and roll Sirius has

Channel 23 "Hair Nation."

They play all the great "hair" bands of the 80's and I can listen to that too

for hours.

Then there is Channel 9 "The Pulse" which is music from the 90's and Today.

A great mix of brand new music and music that isn't too old. Both "pop" and

"rock" mixed in.

Again, XM has no station like that.

EXACTLY my point. That drove me nuts with XM.

I'd find a great song playing on Ethel, then...some grundge hard wacked out

song I've never heard of and wouldn't care for comes on.

Those type of songs were like 50-60% of the time.

I'd try XMU...same story

Try Squizz....it was like head banger Alternative...no thanks

Again, tried Sirius and I can leave it on Channel 21 "Alt Nation" and leave it

for HOURS and they'll play Blink 182, Weezer, Green Day, The Killers,

Ceasars, Queens of the Stone Age, etc etc and a HUGE mix of Alternative music that's a dream without hearing some whack job group that sucks. You do get new Alternative

on Sirius's Alt Nation, but the program director knows what is good and what

not to even bother with.

And if you grew up in the 80's (as I did) on rock and roll Sirius has

Channel 23 "Hair Nation."

They play all the great "hair" bands of the 80's and I can listen to that too

for hours.

Then there is Channel 9 "The Pulse" which is music from the 90's and Today.

A great mix of brand new music and music that isn't too old. Both "pop" and

"rock" mixed in.

Again, XM has no station like that.

Drive,

Man that sounds awesome. who knows I have been thinking about getting a new headunit, mabey I make the switch at that point.

Another question, is it true that Sirius does not censor any of their music channels?

I know XM has some channels that are uncensored, but alot that are. I guess I am purest in the sense that I like to hear the lyrics that the artist originally intended.

-Nick

I should listen to "Alt Nation" for a hour or two and write down every song they

play in that time period.

You'd absolutely LOVE it.

We could pick a time frame and you could do the same on XM's "Ethel" or whatever.

There is just NO comparison...you'd switch in a heartbeat.

You can pick the time too, because with Sirius it just doesn't matter...they

always play GREAT music, none of that whacked-out of nowhere stuff XM plays.

As for censorship.

I've only noticed it on the "bee bop" stations that most kids listen too.

Meaning, if you go to say, Channel 1 "Sirius Hits" you'll get some censorship or of course Channel 11 "Kids Stuff"

On the vast majority of the stations (Rock, Hip Hop, Electronic/Dance), I hear the true lyrics.

Edit:

Currently (about 6:00 pm PST) on Sirius "Alt Nation" is:

Keane "Somewhere Only We Know" then

Green Day "Holiday" then

Gorillaz "Feel Good Inc." then

Nirvana "lithium" then

U2 "vertigo" then

Louis 14th "Finding Out True Love is Blind" then

The Offspring "Pretty Fly (for a white guy)" then

Garbage "Why Do You Love Me"

The Killers "Smile Like You Mean it"

that's the 6:00 to 6:30 pm PST line up....pretty nice huh?

The variety and quality is ALWAYS like this.

I like XM for the alternative country; I'm a fan of Robert Earl Keen, Jason Ringenberg, Gillian Welch, James McMurtry, Townes Van Zandt, The Blazers, stuff like that. A better term to me is Americana. That, the blues station, the jazz station. I don't NEED 200 stations. I need a few that I like, just like you do... but we like different stuff.

I still think it's 6 vs half a dozen; you like what you like, I like what I like, and let's have a beer. Maybe I'll get a used Sirius tuner off eBay and sign up for a couple months, see if I like it.

Tom

I should listen to "Alt Nation" for a hour or two and write down every song they

play in that time period.

You'd absolutely LOVE it.

We could pick a time frame and you could do the same on XM's "Ethel" or whatever.

There is just NO comparison...you'd switch in a heartbeat.

You can pick the time too, because with Sirius it just doesn't matter...they

always play GREAT music, none of that whacked-out of nowhere stuff XM plays.

As for censorship.

I've only noticed it on the "bee bop" stations that most kids listen too.

Meaning, if you go to say, Channel 1 "Sirius Hits" you'll get some censorship or of course Channel 11 "Kids Stuff"

On the vast majority of the stations (Rock, Hip Hop, Electronic/Dance), I hear the true lyrics.

Edit:

Currently (about 6:00 pm PST) on Sirius "Alt Nation" is:

Keane "Somewhere Only We Know" then

Green Day "Holiday" then

Gorillaz "Feel Good Inc." then

Nirvana "lithium" then

U2 "vertigo" then

Louis 14th "Finding Out True Love is Blind" then

The Offspring "Pretty Fly (for a white guy)" then

Garbage "Why Do You Love Me"

The Killers "Smile Like You Mean it"

that's the 6:00 to 6:30 pm PST line up....pretty nice huh?

The variety and quality is ALWAYS like this.

Driver,

Man I think you have me conviced. I just found out that Pioneer makes a Sirius adapter (The wheels are turning in my head)

I'll keep you updated, but a change may be in order.

-Nick

Now see, I find calling someone "gay" in a derogatory way and attacking their listening preferences is looking for a fight based on ad hominem attack rather than a serious debate of the issues.

We agree! For this, and other disrespectful attacks on users, Driver72 is now on probation.

We'd like to remind users to review the Forum Rules at http://www.legacygt.com/index.php?page=faq&

-Stef

Archived