LegacyGT.com

96 Outback Wagon

T4L

I'm considering purchasing a 96 Outback 5 speed 2.2. From what I've gathered, this is the engine/tranny combo that is most likely to last. It's got 157,000 miles with alot of the major maintenance recently done. Runs, drives, and shifts well. Only real issue is some rust in the rear fenders. I can't talk the seller down lower than $2500. Any thoughts?

http://images.craigslist.org/3m23p33o45O45Pa5Sea218bf314c9cec21d36.jpg

The 2.2 gets better mileage and is a revver. Don't know if it has the HG issues of the 2.5. but, 2500 is a good price, i think. I bought a 98 outback ltd, auto 3 years ago with 124k for 5100. The high price has paid off so far, 30k later it's been a great car, ac still works great, etc. If all maintenance has been done i don't see a downside at 2500.

Yes, good combo. What kind of major maintenance?

I had a 96 legacy with 5spd/2.2. The issues to look into were: look closely at front half-shafts if they weren't replaced yet. Listen to throw-out bearing noise. Even though clutch might have been done recently, these (and many other subarus) have issues with that bearing wearing the tranny input shaft and requiring 'snout kit' to insure longevity of the new throwout bearing.

Recent maintenance includes all belts including timing, new water pump, battery, alternator, front cv shafts, and some brake work. It's got BFGs at all 4 corners with probably 75% tread. All fluids looked good. Brand new inspection. Talked to the local subaru service manager that deals with our 06. He said head gaskets were an issue on the 2.5, but not the 2.2 and that the 2.2 should hit 200k no problem. Supposedly the clutch was changed at some point, but I can't varify that. There are receipts for the other stuff. There is some cracked bumper plastic, a little rust at door bottoms and rear wheel openings, and some minor blemishes inside and out, but nothing that stands out for the age and mileage. It shifted and drove smooth, almost like new. I was impressed with how sound the engine transmission and suspension seemed. If it is still available tomorrow, I'm gonna take a last look and probably buy it. Appreciate the input. I'll let you all know what happens and of course, I'll post some pics if applicable.

Update: I purchased this outback, but forgot to make sure I had my proof of insurance.:redface: I'm going back tomorrow. This time the insurance is in my wallet. Pictures tomorrow maybe.

I havn't had a stick in a decade. I'm looking forward to driving again!:)

As much as winter sucks...these subys can actually make it somewhat fun...and that smooth feeling of superiority everytime i blow by anything not awd is worth the price 2500? ohh yeahhh!

Looks like you made a fine purchase there me lad...congrats!

It suffered a front end collision at some point, the grill is partly held on with zip ties. Don't know if I should get another new light to match or get one of those resto kits for the headlights. And, yeah, I noticed the brake fluid before I made the purchase.

Do the resto kits, the headlights are outrageous! Actually, to save money go to the auto parts store and buy 3m machine polish. It's the same as the kit and i'm assuming it's cheaper. Body guys and detailers use that stuff to buff out light scratches. It works the same! I used it on my headlights

Archived