LegacyGT.com

Removing Rear Middle Seat Belt, or Dynamat

blue2.5gt

Just wanted to start by saying thanks for the help you have given me with my car so far.

I own a 2005 legacy gt 5eat. I have 2 10" subs in a ported box in the trunk of my car. It sounds really good, but as most of you know sometimes you get the feared buzzing that comes from the rear deck area. I went to the audio shop that installed the sub and after banging on a few things to check for vibrations he said it was most likely all coming from that plastic box that has the housing for the center rear seat belt. Apparently theres a spring in there that makes a hell of a lot of noise. Since all my friends and I are in college, no one can ever fit in the middle seat in the back so its never even be used. I was wondering if its hard to take out that middle seat belt, and if it would have any effect on the safety systems the car comes with (for sure dont want to mess with that).

The guy also mentioned that he could dynamat the whole rear deck but it sounds like that might cost a couple hundred bucks. So before I shell out any cash I was wondering if anyone has had the same issue with the vibrating, and if they found the seatbelt holster was the culprit. If so, can it be removed easily and safely? Or should I just go with the dynamat?

Thanks,

blue2.5gt

To answer your question about the mid rear seat belt removal is not that hard.

1. Remove the bottom seat (pops out)

2. Remove the back seat. (2 bolts on bottom)

3. Pop the rear deck up far enough to unbolt the seat belt housing. (1 bolt)

4. Unbolt the seat belt on the bottom. (1 bolt)

There's no sensors running to the rear seat belts, so it shouldn't cause any problems.

My wife's balls are delicious.

more than likely your third brake light doing the vibration against the rear window...

ya that makes sense too, would dynamating the rear deck stop that vibration though?

also thanks for the instructions on how to remove the seat belt, ill ask the guy at the shop if he will do it

dl this focal test and set up cd, start at track 12 and maybe all the way to track 20, and track the rattle. add dynamat as needed. No need to pay someone when you can do it yourself.

http://www.megaupload.com/?d=2NG7BY73

Focal Disk Two – Tools

1. Left and Right Channel Test

2. Pink Noise Reference -14B Fs

3. Front Channels Polarity Test

4. Subwoofer Tracks - Single Cylinder Motorcycle Engine

5. Subwoofer Tracks – Muffled

6. Subwoofer Tracks – Soured

7. Subwoofer Tracks – Walking Cello

8. Digital Silence 0 Bits

9. Sine Wave Reference 1kHz 14dB Fs

10. Sine Wave 20Hz

11. Sine Wave 25Hz

12. Sine Wave 31 Hz

13. Sine Wave 40 Hz

14. Sine Wave 50 Hz

15. Sine Wave 63 Hz

16. Sine Wave 80 Hz

17. Sine Wave 100 Hz

18. Sine Wave 125 Hz

19. Sine Wave 160 Hz

20. Sine Wave 200 Hz

21. Sine Wave 250 Hz

22. Sine Wave 325 Hz

23. Sine Wave 400 Hz

24. Sine Wave 500 Hz

25. Sine Wave 630 Hz

26. Sine Wave 800 Hz

27. Sine Wave 1kHz

28. Sine Wave 1.2kHz

29. Sine Wave 1.6kHz

30. Sine Wave 2kHz

31. Sine Wave 2.5kHz

32. Sine Wave 3.15kHz

33. Sine Wave 4kHz

34. Sine Wave 5kHz

35. Sine Wave 6.3kHz

36. Sine Wave 8kHz

37. Sine Wave 10kHz

38. Sine Wave 12kHz

39. Sine Wave 16kHz

40. Sine Wave 20kHz

41. 20 Hz to 160 Hz

42. 160 Hz to 1.25kHz

43. 1.25kHz to 10kHz

44. 10kHz to 20kHz

45. Walking Saxophone – Left – CTR – Right – CTR

46. Pencil Drawing

47. Tape Roller Unrolling

48. Bulb Drop

49. Jug

50. Oboe

51. Cello

52. Acoustic Guitar

53. Drums – Progressively rise in Intensity

54. Drums – Toms

55. Base Line Drums

56. Bass Play

57. Bass Slap

58. Applause

59. Applause Outdoor

60. Oliver Lataste – Le phare et la lune

61. Male Voice – Pierre Delorme – Reves

62. Female Voice – Chislain Marchetto – L’homme de la dernier

63. Male & Child Voices – Gilles Pauget – Blues d’automne

64. Vocal Group – J.Joplin arranged by E. Moulin

65. Jazz Rock – arranged by R.Guillard – Over the Rainbow

66. Jazz – RMR – Maja

67. Doumka Clarinet Ensemble & Youval Micenmaker

68. 109 – Donne

69. Romain Gayral – Solminharm (High spectral density setting drivers response test)

70. Compressed Drums

71. Uncompressed Drums

72. Compressed Oliver Lataste – La derniere borne

73. Uncompressed Oliver Lataste – La derniere borne

74. Compressed Orchestra

75. Uncompressed Orchestra

hmm, well the sub was originally set to below 75Hz as the crossover frequency. Should I still test the frequencies above that? and is there any member in the hartford, ct area that may be willing to spend a couple hours and help a fellow legacy gt owner out in the process of doing this =) (preferabely if they have done it on their own car) ? because as ive been reading once the dynamat goes on it does not want to come off, and since ive never done it before id really like to learn how to do it the right way. Thanks for the help!

blue2.5gt

Yeah I would definatly try to narrow it down more. It may be that belt holder (pretty sure I have this too, along with the third brake light on the window which is easily fixed with foam tape), but if its a part inside that holder and you sound deaden over and around it, all it will do is trap it there and it will still rattle...lol. just play any music that you can hear it rattling to and crawl around in the trunk and back seat. have some foam adhesive backed tape, or 3/8 by 5/8 weatherstripping handy and some scissors. When somthing you touch stops rattling wedge a piece of whatever you have in beside it. Rattle hunting made easy.

• 2 weeks later...
more than likely your third brake light doing the vibration against the rear window...

i think your right, i went rattle hunting and this seems to be causing the majority of the rattle. What exactly should I do in this area to stop the vibration?

Archived