LegacyGT.com

5eat front diff?

quick4dr

got 63,500 miles on car. I want to do a front diff drain and fill. how many quarts of diff oil do I need what is the best to go with? I did the rear diff with royal purple 75w90, and tranny with BG fluid, just got front diff left to do.

Fluid capacity is 1.3 qts, and start checking the dipstick after you put in 1.1. I use Subaru's Extra S fluid, but I hear good things about Amsoil Severe Gear 75W-90 too.

Also, you need a Torx 70 bit to open the plug, which you can get on eBay for 5 or 6 bucks.

BG is not on the list of ATF that meets SOA's specs. I would think twice about using it but subscribing for your results. The only ATF we know of that is not SOA-approved and works great is Amsoil. The rest are anyone's guess.

Don't worry about the Extra S stuff, that is aimed at the MT guys since it affects their shifting. Go with the same diff fluid you used for the rear. Extra S won't make a lick of difference.

Whatever you use in your transmission, make sure it's all the same stuff. A drain and fill only changes about 4-5 quarts, which is around half capacity. I had IPT flush my 5EAT with Amsoil Universal ATF when they installed my valve body, and now I just do an Amsoil drain and fill every 15-20k.

I'm sure the Royal Purple 75W-90 is fine for your front diff.

Any good quality 75w90 will do the trick. Don't go terribly out of your way for some magic elixir, I would just get whatever is easy to get at a reasonable price. Personally I went with Amsoil severe gear because I was able to get it locally for cheaper than off the shelf other synthetic lubricants. M1 makes some good 75w90, so does Pennzoil and Valvoline.

• 2 years later...

Okay, I feel like an idiot, and seeing as how i'm not physically in front of the car at the moment. But to fill the front diff with fluid it fills through the transmission dipstick tube? or is there are seperate dipstick tube for the fron diff? If so where is it located?

Edit: I think I have figured it out, the trans dipstick is on the drivers side, and the diff is on the passenger, please correct me if I am wrong

Archived