LegacyGT.com

Does this sound like a Valve Body problem?

C_randyjones

Car is stage 2, 65,000 miles. Some very spirited driving in the past.

About 2 weeks ago, it began to make a popping sound in the rear-end.

This only occurs when making low speed turns at sharp angle and ONLY under throttle (even light throttle). I can coast through a turn at speed with minimal if any noise. The popping is rather dramatic and occassinally includes a "grabbing" effect. It feels like gear are hanging up or something.

It began without any "inciting event". That is I do not recall any time when it jerked or popped under heavy throttle to make one think "Crap, I just broke something".

Dealer says it needs a new valve body unit priced at 1400. I am worried that it is not the problem and I will have to replace something else after shelling out big bucks on the VB. Any insights. Thanks in advance.

It sounds mid to rear but definately not the front.

By the way the bearings have been checked and are fine.

Hmm, if the bearings are fine it might be a valve body. Wait till climberd and fishbone chime in. They know a lot more than me about these issues.

I'm concerned it might be the center differential actually. I'm with you man, I'd hate to swap the valve body and have the problem not go away.

Here is what I would personally do. Find a shop which is willing to swap the valve body for cheaper than the dealer. 1400 seems like a steep price, last I checked the valve body was around 700 bucks so the rest is labor and ATF. You are dropping the valve body and you are Stage 2, so why don't you take advantage of this situation and buy a new one and ship it to IPT, have them mod it and when you get it back swap it in. If the problem goes away great, it was the valve body. If not, then at least you have the modded body in. The one that you have in right now you could actually have somebody try to inspect and fix it and you could potentially sell it?

The reason I said it could be the center diff is because of ... well, see this thread:

http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php?t=122946

It could very well be that one of your needle bearings could be busted up and it's only making noise under load, which means turning and giving it gas.

I'm concerned it might be the center differential actually. I'm with you man, I'd hate to swap the valve body and have the problem not go away.

Here is what I would personally do. Find a shop which is willing to swap the valve body for cheaper than the dealer. 1400 seems like a steep price, last I checked the valve body was around 700 bucks so the rest is labor and ATF. You are dropping the valve body and you are Stage 2, so why don't you take advantage of this situation and buy a new one and ship it to IPT, have them mod it and when you get it back swap it in. If the problem goes away great, it was the valve body. If not, then at least you have the modded body in. The one that you have in right now you could actually have somebody try to inspect and fix it and you could potentially sell it?

The reason I said it could be the center diff is because of ... well, see this thread:

http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php?t=122946

It could very well be that one of your needle bearings could be busted up and it's only making noise under load, which means turning and giving it gas.

I knew my logic was correct! I just couldn't remember where I read it.

Archived