LegacyGT.com

Rebuilding teh Power Steering Pump?

Receive the pump kit and came with everything to rebuild the pump including the shaft bearing. Was surprised how easy it was to rebuild this. Also, the pulley does not have to be removed from the shaft.

Just a word of advice. When you take the pump apart, lay the parts out in the order in which you disassembled it. Then just reverse the order when putting it back together.

Do this in a clean area & clean the inside of the pump & all reusable parts with brake clean. Use a light coat vaseline petroleum jelly on the rubber O rings.

After I put the pump back together & installed it back in the car, I poured a little power steering fluid in the pump before priming the system.

So, total was $37 & my labor. That price also included a $16 used pump from a junk yard. I wanted to rebuild that before removing the working one in the car.

Again, well worth the price instead of buying a rebuilt pump for $160

Also, while I was at it, I replace the A/C Idler Pulley. Glad I did. Turns out that the bearings were going bad. I do believe that was the major whine noise heard when I first started the engine until it warmed up.

RockAuto Parts http://www.rockauto.com/ has the bearing, (Part # 89029) for $28.79 + shipping. If you use this 5% discount code 27693932289137 you'll save another $1.44.

I checked Advanced Auto Parts in my area, & they had the same part number as RockAuto, & had it in stock.

http://shop.advanceautoparts.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/product_Idler-Tensioner-Pulley,-Lt-Duty-Dayco_15130007-P_806_R|GRPBELTAMS_587763123___

I printed out the RockAuto price & Advance matched it.

Not to take away the great service & fast shipping that RockAuto does, but I got this right down the street from me.

Oh, one more thing. If you replace the A/C Idler Pulley, while your at it, remove the drivers side timing cover & inspect the timing belt. But that's another thread.

After everything was put back together. Engine starts & is quiet as a mouse now...........

Do you know where in the factory service manual it has the procedure for changing out the AC compressor pulley?

Archived