LegacyGT.com

Recent stage 2.2 install validation

OK, I have just done the first part of my stage 2.2 install. My buddy and I spent most of yesterday installing my Greddy Up pipe, Perrin catted down and K&N Typhoon. I still havent tuned yet because I have an xo2 FMIC(I can stand to lose the fogs for a FMIC $250 shipped) that I will have to put on next weekend. Don't worry I am not getting on the boost until Shamar gets a chance to do his magic.

My concern might seem unusual to most. I have a long history of all of my projects not working right off and I am concerned because everything looks good. What am I missing? I am not hearing any shrieking and I have placed my hand around the downpipe-catback portion and don't feel any exhaust. There was some smoke coming out of the engine bay yesterday but I think that it was the excess PB Blaster cooking off but I am worried that it might be exhaust.

I am hearing the turbo spool up much more loudly but I am attributing that to the K&N. It doesn't start up until 2500 RPM so I am not suspecting a leak.

What do you guys think, am I good until I start hacking away at my bumper beam next week?

Oh and I will post some pics after the install is done next week. I was a bit concerned that my perrin was touching the firewall so I wrapped it with header wrap to the cat.

I am hearing the turbo spool up much more loudly but I am attributing that to the K&N. It doesn't start up until 2500 RPM so I am not suspecting a leak... Don't worry I am not getting on the boost until Shamar gets a chance to do his magic.

^ Of course you hear the spool start but you are not going to be able to know if there is a leak with no boost. I have a BAD boost leak I am fixing from my headers to up and you can't tell there is a boost leak till at least half throttle at 3000rpm. Basically, how can you know if you have a boost leak from driving it, if you are OUT OF BOOST! :lol: A friend RomRaider flashed my car to stage 2 to make it driveable and then found the boost leak after. See if anyone in your area can reflash you and give you a copy of your OEM map.

I was a bit concerned that my perrin was touching the firewall so I wrapped it with header wrap to the cat.

I would be totally dissatisfied with that fitment. Do Perrin DP all fit like that? If so, tear that Perrin off, sell it, buy an ERZ DP, pocket the $100 difference (toward your next turbo!) and have enough clearance to put your FIST in between the firewall and DP. ERZ fitment is actually better than OEM. I am happy to go take some pics right now of my engine bay if you want to see for sure (mine is a catted DP).

I still havent tuned yet because I have an xo2 FMIC(I can stand to lose the fogs for a FMIC $250 shipped)...

What do you guys think, am I good until I start hacking away at my bumper beam next week?

^ as long as your life is not worth another $500 to you. IMO going faster is awesome but saving money by reducing safety is like killing yourself and passengers. People are taking off XO2 and installing RacerX not just for fogs but to LIVE though some dumbass in a F150 turning left in front of you without looking.

x02 and racerX fmic was designed by the same person.

Thats not news to me: I have driven the 340whp ItsMe wagon WOT.;)

I have first-hand seen the X02 in ItsMe's car. I have seen the relatively minor cuts to the bumper beam and that the X02 fits okay but not compared to the new one. The new one = oem bumper beam, oem fogs, minor bumper skin cutting, minor bottom skirt cutting and OEM AIRBOX (thats right, MSprank found a way to include the oem airbox!!!). Call me PARANOID or even DELUSIONAL but living in Los Angeles, I just don't want a cut bumper beam.:cool:

the downpipe might not have been for the car. the older wrx downpipes are similiar but a little longer which would make it hit the firewall..

^Had not thought of that... I glad I don't have a WRX DP in that case.

yeah. i hear you.

i jumped on a wbr fmic deal maybe a couple of years back...and i dont have a front bumper beam... i've tried to think of a way to get it in somehow..and you'd have to cut so much of the bumper beam..you mind as well just not install it.

so obviously i worry about getting my front end hit...but luckily i dont drive like i want a ticket and the car impounded.

but i did go with the wbr because it had the biggest intercooler core avaliable. they have a bigger one...but i think that is overkill

as long as your life is not worth another $500 to you. IMO going faster is awesome but saving money by reducing safety is like killing yourself and passengers. People are taking off XO2 and installing RacerX not just for fogs but to LIVE though some dumbass in a F150 turning left in front of you without looking.

You realize that is a 5mph hour crash beam... Its designed to keep you bumper intact in case you decided to not pay attention and rear end someone in stop and go traffic. As well as protect your bumper/radiator from the terrible parellel parkers in most US cities...

-Pierce

Hmm, maybe I should look at a few more engine bay pics, I had heard that the Perrin one piece fit tight but I thought that was the standard.

I will get the car out today under more boost to see if I can find a boost leak. How would a boost leak sound compared to the woosh I am hearing from the intake?

I am not worried about the Xo2 FMIC, from my research many people have been running it and I don't think anyone has died from an impact. If I would have gone with just about any other FMIC not created by itsme then I would have had to lose a lot more of the beam,if not remove it completely. His new FMIC is a nice piece of work but I couldn't justify the price difference at this time with so many satisifed customers of the xo2 kit. I am willing to take the risk of losing a sliver of the beam.

I will get the car out today under more boost to see if I can find a boost leak. How would a boost leak sound compared to the woosh I am hearing from the intake?

so many satisifed customers of the xo2 kit. I am willing to take the risk of losing a sliver of the beam.

Did you already buy the XO2? If not, and saving $$ is important, you might consider PM'ing Bryan (itsme). He is tossing in his new RacerX kit so I bet his wrapped Xo2 (wrapped by the turbo section) is up for grabs (for cheap?).

My boost leak sounds like

a SSSSSSSSSSSSSS (teeth together) not the shhhhhh of the turbo airflow... Here is a important clue - it is a DIFFERENT sort of sound than the shhh or woosh of the turbo but also increases with turbo boost. At least to me my turbo sounds woosh and my leak sounds ssss

I can make a video for you if you want (SERIOUSLY) but I don't know how well my compact cam will pick up the sound.

Don't worry about the video quite yet, I will do some pulls today to see if I suspect a leak. If I do then I might be interested in seeing a video.

I have already picked up the intercooler, I wasn't really planning on doing the intercooler quite yet but I couldn't beat the price. It is sitting in the garage until my BOV flange comes in.

Alright. I got it under boost a few times on my way to work and there wasn't any high pitched noises so I think I might be leak free.

I am a bit worried about my downpipe being so close to the firewall though. I wrapped it with header wrap. after driving to work I was able to touch the wrapped pipe so I don't think heat is an issue. What do you guys think?

I would be totally dissatisfied with that fitment. Do Perrin DP all fit like that? If so, tear that Perrin off, sell it, buy an ERZ DP, pocket the $100 difference (toward your next turbo!) and have enough clearance to put your FIST in between the firewall and DP. ERZ fitment is actually better than OEM. I am happy to go take some pics right now of my engine bay if you want to see for sure (mine is a catted DP).

Yes, all Perrin DP fit like that... against the firewall. :mad: I took a hammer and re-shaped my firewall where the DP passes and created a 1/4" gap.

I said I'd never buy Perrin again... until a great deal on a TMIC came up and I bought it and it fits great.

My '05 LGT

My '07 Supercharged Shelby

I had contimplated the hammer method, that might have to be revisited. Thanks for the input.

When I said I would be unhappy I meant that, for me, it would be unacceptable that the DP is touching the firewall. I would want at least 1" of room but I imagine much less is ok.

You already know your drivetrain moves a tad on its mounts, seems logical to me to think contacting the firewall would be less than ideal. Maybe I am an idiot but thats my opinion for what it is worth.

Archived