LegacyGT.com

Weak foot heat???

I have a 2007 2.5i (SE).

The car is N/A and doesn't have climate control.

I feel that the forced hot air coming through the foot heating ducts is fairly insufficient. Whether it is on -Foot Heat ONLY- or a bi-setting with the -Face- or -Defrost- there is a poor amount of air coming through the foot vents. It's not that the air isn't Hot, there just isn't satisfactory air flow.

The car only has 26,000 miles on it and the service records that I found in the Owner's Manual show no indication of any heating/duct work or problems.

Does anyone else have this problem or feel this way about their FOOT HEAT?

Any recommendations OR tips besides "take it to the dealer"?? lol

Thanks.

OK, so it's a design flawl. I just wanted to be sure it wasn't only my car experiencing these problems. I'll just keep the wool socks on all winter long then, I guess. :)

That's kinda sad that the heat is so weak. I'm under the impression that Subaru's are mainly purchased by those in snowy, icy, and freezing climates and it seems that Subaru may sometimes overlook that aspect. I wonder how much (if any) testing they do on their vehicles in sub-zero temperatures. I believe that Mercedes and other various makes do this to be confident in their product and its durability.

I know, I know that Merdedes and Subaru are for different budgets (social classes) and I am in no way making a direct comparison between the two of them; just an example.

Use flash light to locate the air outlet under the dash and extend it further out with cut foam cut. Some report that not all the air are blowing out toward foot well but partly.

Will look into this and report back.

Thanks man.

yea HVAC systems in the legacys seems pretty poor. I have noticed the poor foot heat and also having issue with low heat on the passenger side.

My old STi cranked out great heat all around and i usually put it on low fan/foot only setting and it would heat up the whole car even in the winter.

ive been looking into extending/ re-aiming the foot vents to actually warm your feet, not just shins. doesnt look like a hard job, just a few hours of cutting and angling some pvc/ plastic to divert the air where you want it.

Pathetic! I tore the lower dash cover off to get a better look at this duct set-up and it's pretty poor.

Just a short air duct from the center of the interior (right kick panel if you're in driver's seat) and there are 2 little sqaure holes to allow air to exit onto your shins!

I think a big part of it is that unless your blower motor setting is on 3 or 4, the amount of air being forced out is sub-par.

Oh well... if you want foot heat, you gotta crank up the blower motor.

Archived