LegacyGT.com

Rant: Grills

mog1017

..Kinda irritated right now... So I decided remove my grill wings and put in mesh, and for the first time in my life I decided to take my time on a project. Well I had bondo from a few years back so I decided to use that, I bought the dremel, the glazing/spot putty, sandpaper, and 2'x2' of wire mesh as was recommended. I painted the wire mesh and cut it into a 2'x1' piece as the walkthroughs said you need 2'x~6". Cut out the wings, put the bondo screen on and went to work. Overnight, the bondo still hadn't set. :mad: Operator error, but the instructions on the walkthrough said nothing about hardening compound and the directions on the bondo container have been covered in bondo for years.:nono:So I go to the auto store and get the hardening compound and start that over. Then I grab the 2'x1' piece of mesh to mock it up and it needs to be longer than 2'. :spin:I'm a mechanic, not a body guy, so I'm kinda lost. I have no idea what the best way to go from here is. I just don't want to spend $25 more for mesh, as I am quickly approaching buying an aftermarket grill cost. Any suggestions?

Really? What should I ask for? I asked for both mesh and screen and I got window screen material and chicken wire. When I said that wasn't what I was looking for the guy told me they didnt care anything else. Home Depot btw.

Don't be so hard on yourself, buddy. Education always costs something. Someone once told me when I was down about something that didn't turn out as planned that "if you aren't making mistakes, then you aren't doing anything"..Ha. Well, kudos to you for giving it a second shot. I hope it turns out well for you in the end and you are proud of the result!

BTW, maybe an isle over or so from the gutter guard is a larger mesh that is used for reinforcing poured concrete. If I were to go the route you are going, I would get this larger mesh and I think it was like $10 for a 4X8' sheet...don't ask me what to do with the left-overs...maybe pour some concrete??? Ha.

- Allen.

Thanks guys! I ended up messing around with it more and more, and while I will probably have someone smooth it all out more later, it doesn't look too bad. I will post some pics when I wash it, as its been snowing and my black car is an ugly dirty brown now that its melting! :)

Archived