LegacyGT.com

Tranmission oil leak?

Sorry, but this will be a long post. I bought a 2003 Outback for my daughter a couple of months ago. Three weeks ago she said that it was leaking something from about the middle of the car. I had her put down some cardbord and she said that it looked like tranmission fluid. She took it to a shop that said that the tranmission pan gasket was leaking and it needed a fluid change. She said go ahead. They changed the fluid and replaced two tranmission oil fliters and 5 quarts of fluid then charged her approximately $300 for the service. I was out of town and when I returned I checked the bill and said that the only fliter I knew of on the transmission was on the outside and didn't need to be changed especially at less than 80,000 miles. It still is leaking. Yesterday I got under the car and found the front of the engine very clean, no leaks. There is transmission oil at the back of the engine. The shop she went to said that the head gaskets were also leaking and should be replaced but I can not find any signs of a oil leak on the heads. They are asking $1,800 for changing the gaskets. Should she go back and ask them to make it right or go to another shop?

Archived