LegacyGT.com

What's the dial for?

CP3

Hey guys, I hate to do this because I'm sure it's been asked plenty of times butI tried searching and couldn't find anything.

Anyway I might be picking up an '08 Legacy GT auto (for the wife) and was wondering what exactly does the knob in the middle of the console do? The one that if you push it goes into Intelligent mode, if you turn to the left it goes to sport, and if you turn to the right it goes into sport plus or whatever.

The sales guy said it does something with the gas mileage and tuning of the car but he didn't fully explain it. So I'm just wondering what the point of this is.

Thanks

Throttle response.

I= intelligent, supposedly better gas mileage because the car doesn't react as harshly to a slight tap on the gas.

S= sport, more throttle response, but still some play. Its what I use because I live in a hilly area and I need the response as I come up to a hill to maintain speed.

S#= sport sharp, best throttle response. If you barely tap the gas, you will feel it jump and pull pretty quickly.

Just go out and play with it. You can't use S# unless the little blue light is off, letting you know the engine is warmed up enough. If you turn the car off in S# it will automatically be in S when you turn it on again.

Hope this helps

It's cool; I'm with the band

Well we picked up the car this afternoon and all was well and good until a few miles from home. I came to a red light and the VDC light and check engine came on and the cruise and S mode lights were flashing. The SI drive would only stay in S mode but I didn't really notice a huge difference in driviability.

The car has the remainer of the factory warranty and the dealer provided a 60 day/2k mile warranty as well so I'm not too worried about the repair.

What I am worried about though is, is this common and an easy fix or is it something major? I only ask because this is supposed to be my wife's daily and her without a car for a week or more would be a huge PITA. Anyway any input is appreciated. Thanks

SI drive system adjusts the throttle mapping and also transmission shift points. When cruising at a fixed speed it doesn't do anything.

I -- Good for stop and go driving, reduced throttle response adds about 2 mpg for stop and go conditions.

S -- General daily driver setting.

S# -- Video game mode. Instant throttle response, transmission holds lower gears longer and downshifts sooner. Kills your gas mileage but extra fun.

Good luck getting it fixed, sucks that your new car has those sort of problems. Hopefully its just an issue with sitting on the lot for a while.

Well we picked up the car this afternoon and all was well and good until a few miles from home. I came to a red light and the VDC light and check engine came on and the cruise and S mode lights were flashing. The SI drive would only stay in S mode but I didn't really notice a huge difference in driviability.

The car has the remainer of the factory warranty and the dealer provided a 60 day/2k mile warranty as well so I'm not too worried about the repair.

What I am worried about though is, is this common and an easy fix or is it something major? I only ask because this is supposed to be my wife's daily and her without a car for a week or more would be a huge PITA. Anyway any input is appreciated. Thanks

Those are safety features and all activate in that fashion when you throw a CEL.

Archived