LegacyGT.com

O2 sensor wont stay in.

Jordan

I have had an IAG uppipe for about 6 months now and after a few months the O2/Heat sensor keeps poping out. I have had a tech at my work screw it back in several times. sometimes with loctite this time with teflon tape. I know the thing is goint to pop out agian so short of welding it in what are my options? I know the Iag pipe might not be the most common but it seems like the threads arent the right size cause it is a consisent problem nomader how tight its screwed in. Thanks.

maybe there is some kind of machining error in the threads of your current bung?

one option is to remove the UP and then take out the sensor. screw in an O2 plug and tack weld it to keep it from coming out. Then install another O2 bung (obviously it needs to be welded in) and put the sensor there.

On the search for a new DD...

go to a different mechanic. If he tried to use loctite or teflon tape on something that gets over 1000 degrees F...

you can put some high temp exhaust repair epoxy on the threads... just a lil, it'll hold it in place and still be able to break it loose if need be.

(Updated 8/22/17)

2005 Outback FMT

Running on Electrons

• 7 months later...
If you want a good installation use SS-30 Jet Lube. For an example using the OEM front oxygen sensor installed in the passenger side exhaust manifold, go to page FU(H4DOTC)-35 of the service manual for this engine...threads on sensors need anti-seize....and the recommended anti-seize for this specific application (sensor in very hot location) is the copper based SS-30 Jet Lube....available through Amazon if you can't get it locally in small quantities...

Archived