LegacyGT.com

6spd manual for LGT?

ozgt

In some markets the Legacy/Liberty H6 3.0R-B comes standard with a 6 speed manual box (same as the WRX STi box I think...). The 3.0R-B spec also gets the Bilstein shocks, 18" wheels and alloy pedals....

But the Legacy GT still gets the 5 speed manual (no Bilstein shocks, no alloy pedals and only 17" wheels).

There seems to be a GT-B spec in Japan (also NZ), which gets the Bilsteins but still only a 5 speed....

Does anybody know why Subaru only fits the 6 speed to the 3.0R-B? Is there a sound technical reason, or is it cost related? (or maybe the 6 speed box is in short supply and therefore not available for the GT?). From a technical viewpoint I can't see any reason why it won't fit...:confused:

Anybody out there with inside information on when Subaru may fix this anomaly?

I'm close to ordering my GT 5 speed, but would really prefer a 6 speed...! I won't be happy if they release the 6 speed a month or two after my purchase!!

No clue as to why Subaru chose to have the six-speed gearbox for the 3.0R car only. There have been rumors, though, that the Legacy may have a six-speed for the upcoming 2006 model year. I'm pretty sure that this rumor is just speculation, though. If you are worried about that, though, I suggest you wait till information about the 2006 model year comes out, so that you can be sure. Also, by that time, prices for the 2005 model year cars will be a little lower (hopefully).

Oh, and as for the technical standpoint, it does fit. Also, someone mated an STI gearbox to the Legacy recently. I guess you could say the same thing about people with WRX's complaining about why they don't get the STI gearbox. Probably a marketing incentive to get the "better" version.

-ben

We also don't have the flat6 engine, although Subaru sells it in other markets. (here comes usdm legacy sti! :D) Any word on when or what event SoA will announce the 2006 Legacy?

But, we do get the flat 6 in the Outback VDC, LL Bean and 3.0R Sedan.

No clue as to why Subaru chose to have the six-speed gearbox for the 3.0R car only.
Because it produces proportinally a lot more power up top than the 2.5T which has a lower fatter torque curve, and needs more gears to stay in a good power band?

Because it produces proportinally a lot more power up top than the 2.5T which has a lower fatter torque curve, and needs more gears to stay in a good power band?

That would be my guess.

DK,

This, I believe, is the heart of the issue. The GT is designed to be a grand tourer, not a back-country, boulevard brawler like the STI where you need to be able to row through the gears with great regularity to stay in the power band for any given driving situation.

As many have mentioned, the 3.0 has a much flatter torque curve that runs straight to its ~7K redline and would by nicely complemented by the 6MT ratios. Think of the top end speed that that combination would muster. The 5MT GT would still beat it to say 100 mph but within another 10-15 mph, the 6MT 3.0R would be wailing past it at a much less frenetic pace.

SBT

- Pro amore Dei et patriam et populum -

Thanks for the inputs guys, much appreciated. Lots of differences between the regional offerings. The GT down here is also 2 litre, not 2.5. The difference in the torque delivery of the H4 and H6 engines does make some sense. Still would be nice to be able to option the 6 speed in the GT though!

One Subaru salesman actually advised me to hold off purchasing "if you're not in a hurry wait until June/July, there could be some changes..... his theory was the 5spd GT is "special order only" which normally means that Subaru don't want to be left holding stock when the update is announced....." Doesn't make my decision any easier!

BTW ozgt - welcome to the sight. Just noticed your new member status and wanted to send a welcome aboard in your direction. Always good to have our down-undah colleagues join in.

SBT

- Pro amore Dei et patriam et populum -

Thanks for the welcome Subietonic. It's good to be here. These forums look like a great resource, you guys know your stuff when it comes to Subaru! Hope to be able to contribute a bit more when I trade my faithful old V8 on a LGT later this year......

Dropped in to the local Subaru dealership this afternoon on my way back to the office. No GTs available for a test drive.... and if I place my order for a 5spd manual LGT today, with choice of colour, I can expect delivery in August! So decision made. I'll wait until the MY06 details are released and then place my order.

Archived