LegacyGT.com

Odd mechanical smell

Yeah I know weird title.

The issue, with all this snow that has been falling in my area and me living out in a rural area I have really been pushing the AWD, from nonplowed roads to crazily steep snowy inclines ( girlfriend's driveway). My car and her's (another Legacy) are the only ones that can get in and out ( shared driveway). I have notice in the last few days that going out of her driveway or any other time that the wheels slip/spin I get a odd oil burning smell. It seems to come from the center of the car when I got out to check over the car. It does not really smell like engine oil, I have smelled enough of that from spills onto manifolds during oil changes, but it does not really smell like the clutch though that is what I am leaning towards. The only other thing I can think of is the center diff fluid. The car drives fine, I have not noticed any negatives in driving it other than the smell for a few minutes after the car spins as I am climbing out or in some deep snow. Any one have ideas as to what it could be or if I am thinking inthe right direction. The car has a 178,500 miles on it and I have no clue the last time the clutch or diffs were serviced. There are times in the snow that the front or rearr wheels seem to pull more than the other, is that normal it is almost like the front two will spin then the rear will catch on sometimes or the other way around. This is the first AWD I have owned so I am not sure how they are to act when there is zero traction.

Thanks guys hope someone has something to offer.

yes that and do the packs in center diffs make a small while slipping?

what tbs said make really good sense thought. you would only smell it while spinning out. as at high speed the wind takes it away

Archived