LegacyGT.com

2.5i power vs. other japanese 4-cyl. competitors

I was looking at the 2.5 GT, but because of the overpricing of this model in the Canadian market and the rising price of gas, I am now thinking about being more reasonable and buying the 2.5i with the base engine and manual transmission. What would you have to say about on-road performance (mostly acceleration and passing) of this model compared to 4 cylinder versions of the Camry, Accord, Mazda6 and Altima? Is the 2.5i the dog of the group? I have a 2001 Accord Coupe, and I feel that despite its VTEC engine and 150 hp, it is not very strong. The car has too tall gearing in 3rd, 4th and 5th gear. I have the impression that the 2.5i has more low-end torque and shorter gearing, which could help it. Do the 2.5 liter models available overseas have essentially the same powerplant that the 2.5i has here in the NA market? With all the emphasis on the Turbo, it is hard to find pertinent opinions about the base-engined versions. Thanks for your comments.

BernarP, I'm in about the same shoes as you... I'm really intersted in the 2.5GT, but at $36.5k + fright/PDI.. it's a bit heafty for the bank account... However, if you are looking at the 2.5i Limited with all the goodies.. you're still looking at 35 or 36k depending on the sedan or wagon... plus you won't get the Manual tranny with the 2.5i Limited trim... that said... as to your question about the power from the NA EJ25 engine.. I currently drives a 03 Forester XS with a manual tranny. The torque is very good coming from this engine, and it feels pretty strong going through the gears. However, the engine tops out pretty fast too due to the short gearing.. from the range of 0-130km/h or so the engine would accelerate pretty strongly if u picked the right gear, but trying to reach 160km/h or above might take you some effort.... :( but that's on my Forester... the Legacy one is supposed to be improved and mated with a better tranny... I think you still need to drive one yourself to decide... I can totally understand how you are looking at this situation... I'm looking at the Mazda 6 Hatch too... and it would cost about 6-7k less then the 2.5GT non-limted version... it's just hard to decide if that extra money is worth it or not...

Thanks for the comments on your Forester Harlem. I would tend to believe that aerodynamics would play a role in the Forester seemingly hitting a wall a high speed. Let's also be realistic: With traffic density increasing everywhere, police handing tickets for only minor speed infractions, and the interdiction of radar detectors, it is very difficult to maintain a cruising speed above 120-130 kph on the highway. Last winter, I got a 94 $ ticket for doing 100 in a 80 zone in open country. What a reckless, dangerous driver I am! :x I am happy to learn the 2.5i powertrain has good torque and short gearing. That is what is needed around town, where most of my driving takes place. I will shortly go for a test drive of a 5-speed 2.5i...When the dealer puts one on the road... As for the 2.5i Limited, it is only available in Canada with a mandatory automatic transmission. :!: :!: :!: In addition, at 35200 $, this model is also overpriced by about 1200 $ (after conversion from US$ to C$) when compared to the US model. What a great strategy by Subaru Canada to make sure they sell as few as possible. The only fairly priced Legacy in Canada is the base 2.5i. At 28000 $, it is right in line with the 21000 $ price in the US ( implicit exchange rate is .75). And in Canada, we also get heated mirrors, seats and wipers on the base model. BTW, using this same .75 exchange rate, the GT Sedan 5-speed manual is overpriced by about 1800$ in Canada. As I only am interested in manual-transmission cars, I am only looking at the base 2.5i. But I would have considered a manual 2.5i Limited for about 32500 $ Too bad Subaru Canada doesn't want to sell me one.

I think the 2.5i will be a great car, at least with a manual tranny. The reason why a lot of us on this board are concentrating on the GT is because we're coming from WRX's and already have the performance car bug :) I'd still be quite happy with a 2.5i though and it is a bargain here in the US for what you get. Back to the original question, I haven't driven an Accord but I can report that the I4 Camry is a total POS. Slow and soft, I can't believe it is/has been the biggest selling car in this country :?

[quote name='Gumby']I think the 2.5i will be a great car, at least with a manual tranny. The reason why a lot of us on this board are concentrating on the GT is because we're coming from WRX's and already have the performance car bug :) I'd still be quite happy with a 2.5i though and it is a bargain here in the US for what you get. Back to the original question, I haven't driven an Accord but I can report that the I4 Camry is a total POS. Slow and soft, I can't believe it is/has been the biggest selling car in this country :?[/quote] Because it is an good milage, average performing motor/car for an average American. Not to mention it's a solid car, backed by Toyota's legendary reliability. It's just not too exciting. :P

Too bad the US doesn't get an equivilent version of the 2.0R but with a 2.5 liter engine. :( Would probably be a lot of fun, more efficienct, and would love to see it in the RS also. :P

The top 3 gears, from what (I recall) I read in the brochure, are very tall geared. That would seem to me that they would lend to great gas mileage. From my drive of an auto wagon, it had plenty of pep and acceleration for it's weight.

The Accord's current 2.4L 4cyl is probably the best one out there. It's extremely smooth and very torquey...feels as fast as my Solara v6. The Subie with the auto doesn't feel nearly as strong, but I'm sure it's a lot tougher. It's also almost as powerful as Nissan's 2.5L, but without the kind of vibration that causes unreliability. I actually would be in an Accord, but there is a rumor that those cars may have EBD problems that cause it to fishtail unexpectedly.

Handling wise, I think the Legacy 2.5i is a better car than any Accord or Camry. Engine wise, the Legacy does feel a little soft with the 4EAT. Im curious to how it feels with the 5MT.
"Gimme mines Balboa...Gimme mines".....Clubber Lang - Mr. T

[quote name='7stars'] I actually would be in an Accord, but there is a rumor that those cars may have EBD problems.[/quote] You are too kind 7stars, and I say this as a previous-gen Accord owner...I find the latest Accord so ugly that Honda must have done it on purpose. :oops: But their latest 2.4 cyl twincam is a gem. If I get one however, it will be the souped-up version in the TSX (né Euro and JDM Accord) which is so much easier on the eyes.

I can only comment on the Mazda6 vs. 2.5i, having recently traded in my Mazda6 for my nice new 2.5i manual sedan! The engines are very similair in output, from memory the 6 has 1 KW more power, with 5% less torque. Overall max acceleration very similair, although I am sure the legacy will loosen up a little more, and still has a bit of improvement to come. There are very noticable differences in engine characteristics though...The Mazda with SV-T had a noticable power step but was flatter down low than the Subaru is. Certainly the Subaru will pull smoother & more effortlessly from down low, in normal driving conditions its more responsive. When pushing it along probably the Mazda (with rev cut out at 7200 rpm) had an edge albeight a very small one. Just a comment - I dont know about the rest of the world (other than you lucky Japanese people with 100 plus octane ratings!!), but in here in Australia fuel comes in 90 octane, 95 octane & 98 Octane. I ran both Mazda & Subaru on 98 Octane, but the Mazda (with higher compression ratio) would only run on 95 as a minimum, whereas the Legacy will run on 90 Octane & above - some flexibility in these days of high fuel prices!

Archived