LegacyGT.com

Help choose my new tires from these selections

HansGT

Ok...had a RE960 go flat on my today. Tire pressure must have been very very low...hit some rough stuff and tire came off the rim...yes OFF the rim. I didn't go far before pulling over, but the rim had bit into the sidewall pretty well and tire is toast. Luckily the rim seems to be ok. I've had these tires on my car since early 2006 and have been very pleased with them. Problem is due to treadwear loss I can't simply put one on due to our AWD. I need for 4 new tires :mad:

Everywhere I've checked online puts the RE960s out of my price range. (I got them buy 3 get 1 free + 10% off...try finding that again.) Anyway I've found some good options.

225/45/17 (all prices discounttire.com)

1. Kumho ASX

$416 -$20.80 (BING) = $395

Guy at work has had two sets. Likes them alot. I know these wear a little fast and performance degrades heavily as they get worn...but cheap.

2. Yokohama AVID W4s

$444 - $22.20 (BING) - $40 (rebate) = $381.80

Friend had these on his CL-S. Liked them, but didn't say OMG they are awesome.

3. BF Goodrich G-Force Super Sport A/S

$480 - $24 (BING) - $60 (Rebate) = $396

Tread pattern looks like these might be noisy?

4. Goodyear Eagle F1 All Season

$588 - $29.40 (BING) - $80 (Rebate) = $478

Have heard pretty good things.

5. Conti Extreme Contact DWS

$468 - $23.40 (BING) = $444.60

Good reviews, but a new tire.

Let me know your thoughts...Please don't recommend a more expensive tire or a summer tire. I want @$400-$500 NICE all seasons. Thanks!

BTW...I'll be selling my other 3 RE960s....@7/32nds left. Will post up later.

Conti's crush the rest in this winter review:

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tests/videoDisplay.jsp?ttid=124

Hold their own in the summer test:

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tests/testDisplay.jsp?ttid=119

I would go with the Conti DWS only if snow was a real concern. Otherwise, I think I'd go with the Eagle F1s on your list. I've been pretty happy with my Eagle GTs so far. Have you considered those?

We've had a good bit of snow this winter, so I'd like to have a good snow tire...and the conti's rated extremely well in the wet.

The' GT's have some pretty big solid blocks...(looks more like a 3 season tire) but I should include them.

$488 - $24.40 (BING) - $20 (Rebate) = $443.60

3. BF Goodrich G-Force Super Sport A/S

$480 - $24 (BING) - $60 (Rebate) = $396

Tread pattern looks like these might be noisy?

I want to talk about this tire for a moment. I love this tire. It has great road feel, is a big improvement in handling and driver confidence. I really like it a lot. I would like to temper this by saying that I did not notice my rear right wheel bearing starting to go because I did not hear it over my drivetrain noise (LWFW) and tires.

When it became a dull drone I was able to tell - but the tires do get a little louder at speed. If you are driving you Subie and want the feel of a Lexus, don't buy these tires. They are too loud. If you listen to your radio at 6 instead of 10, maybe the tires are too loud. If you wish not to ever hear your boxer engine noise, these tires are too loud. Otherwise, they are not bad.

If you are thinking of stage 2, forget about the tire noise, everything else will be a louder. For under $400, these tires are great IMO. (Eagle F1 for $80 more is pretty crazy too)

^ If you're looking at the 912s then you should look at the 512s - since you'll occasionally see snow, and the 912s are truly not something that you'd want to tackle too much snow with, whereas the 512s are OK in the white stuff (as long as you're not down to your wear-bars, of which wear is an issue with the 512s).

Sipping the 912s is also not unheard of (check SubaruForester.org for reviews of before/after), and can return with noticeable wintry-weather traction increases.

<-- I love Winky, my "periwinkle" (ABP) LGT! - Allen / Usual Suspect "DumboRAT" / One of the Three Stooges

'16 Outback, '16 WRX, 7th Subaru Family

I used to run the Proxes on my old A4 Avant and had them siped. They did well for everyday driving and OK in snow.

I am currently running the Eagle GT's for summer and xI2's for winter. I really like them both but are also fit in one of the more expensive tire combo's out there. Although not a fair comparison, my buddy runs the F1's on his STi and I find those noisier then my GTs.

Just my 2 cents...

Cheers,

Mike

Edit...Doh posted at the same time.

• 3 weeks later...
I've had the BF Goodrich Super Sport A/S tires and replaced the set once. Not a bad tire overall over the last 45k miles, but they wore pretty unevenly and pretty quickly. That could be due in part to my suspension setup. They have been amazing in the snow and wet weather though. Drove through several blizzards between DC, New York and New England this year alone with complete confidence - while watching Jeeps, Explorers and F150s slide around.

Archived