LegacyGT.com

To uppipe or not to uppipe? your opinion please

Ransom

First I would like to thank everyone for their input on the site. I've been reading the forums for the last month or so before I registered and I just bought my '07 Spec B. Luvin' it by the way!

My question is this: Because I don't ever plan to go past Stage 2, should I even bother changing out the uppipe? Since the '07 stock already has a catless uppipe, would the gains really be worth the trouble and money?

Currently I plan to take care of the down pipe and the mid will have a high flow cat. Cat back exhaust is already done. Just finished putting in the short throw shifter and that was worth every penny.

Just curious about the pros and cons of taking the trouble to do the uppipe on an '07. Opinions? Thoughts?

There would be very little benefit if you are planning at stopping at stage 2.

this.

it's hard to stop the modding bug once you start though. :lol:

but if you do plan on doing a turbo swap down the road, you'll have an easier time of changing out the UP then, anyways. I would stick with the stock one as well. :cool:

this.

but if you do plan on doing a turbo swap down the road, you'll have an easier time of changing out the UP then, anyways. I would stick with the stock one as well. :cool:

I only swapped out my stock UP when I changed my turbo. At that point the extra install was a piece of cake and a better flowing UP for about $140. made sense for better spool only.

First I would like to thank everyone for their input on the site. I've been reading the forums for the last month or so before I registered and I just bought my '07 Spec B. Luvin' it by the way!

My question is this: Because I don't ever plan to go past Stage 2, should I even bother changing out the uppipe? Since the '07 stock already has a catless uppipe, would the gains really be worth the trouble and money?

Currently I plan to take care of the down pipe and the mid will have a high flow cat. Cat back exhaust is already done. Just finished putting in the short throw shifter and that was worth every penny.

Just curious about the pros and cons of taking the trouble to do the uppipe on an '07. Opinions? Thoughts?

if your stock uppipe has no cat, dont **** with it.

this.

Yeah I'm sure it will be difficult to stop the bug! I've already got parts on the way for some must-have upgrades. Makes sense about changing it out when/if the turbo is replaced.

On the other hand, I'll probably never put on a more powerful turbo on this car or push the factory too hard because I want the engine to take me past 200k.

+1 to all the above. The only thing that might be of benefit is one with a bung for EGT.

Kinda new to the whole modding thing, so why would I want one with an EGT bung? I was under the impression that the only thing that needed monitoring was the temps for those who have '05-'06 with the cat involved so it doesn't get too hot.

Thanks again everyone for your input! By this weekend I should have the parts I ordered which include DP, crank pulley, heatshield, and stock instake.

Yes, this car had an SPT CAI on it already and mostly it just makes a noise that I don't like as much as some do. If I ever get the hankering to push over 400hp then I suppose I will want it, but for now I think I'll just sell it. I'll list it soon plus the stocker DP if anyone is interested in either of these parts.

So you shaved 3.5 lbs off? Major weight savings bro!! :lol:

Try dropping it on your foot.;)

OP - I just traded out my UP specifically because I had a up-cat in my '05 and for no other reason. I would not have screwed with it if it was catless like yours unless I was installing a new turbo (at which point, why not do an up while you are there). Out of my DP/UP install, the UP is the one I would not want to have to repeat.

• 1 year later...

Archived