LegacyGT.com

summer tire's worth for DD?

bace

im getting some wheels soon (18x8.5) so i need some tires too. I was planning on getting some summer tires for the 18's and then putting winter tires on my stocks 17s. But after reading up on summer tires (i know nothing about tires) they seem to wear out very quickly (max 20k miles?) and cost more then all seasons. So i should just get some all seasons since they cost less and last longer plus i dont track or anything and i have a 70 mile commute every day; 80% of which is on the highway. is my reasoning correct or are summer tires just some pure awesomeness and i should at least experience them first?

I've got almost the exact same commute as you. I had the stock RE050s on the car for about 5K miles and they were awesome. I'm on Eagle GTs now and the difference in performance was noticeable, but it wasn't like night/day. My driving style is between grandma and slightly aggressive though, so you'd have to keep that in mind.

With that said, I'd get the ASs. I did not want to be replacing tires every two years (or less), and that was the bottom line.

I hate to tease but... This thread embodies why I live in southern Cali.

The idea of running anything but "summer tires" on my Leggy makes me want to throw a fit.

Summer tires last just fine and some have grip like you can't believe. Look for treadwear specs if longevity is that much of a concern.

^ +1.

But at the same time, you'll want to remember that treadwear specs are only comparable within the confines of the same brand/make. :)

<-- I love Winky, my "periwinkle" (ABP) LGT! - Allen / Usual Suspect "DumboRAT" / One of the Three Stooges

'16 Outback, '16 WRX, 7th Subaru Family

is tirerack's treadwear rating accurate or should i check at companies websites?

I would, as a rule of thumb, always cross-reference the information. This is what the internet is for. It is just plain lazy to do otherwise. Do you want to assume that the web developers for Tirerack never make errors? I don't - typical IT guys are on at least half dozen red bulls and have not slept for a week (and eating junk food)!

^ Agreed.

But again, bace, remember, it's only a valid comparison to make within the confines of a single manufacturer/brand. :)

<-- I love Winky, my "periwinkle" (ABP) LGT! - Allen / Usual Suspect "DumboRAT" / One of the Three Stooges

'16 Outback, '16 WRX, 7th Subaru Family

If you're not a driving enthusiast, stick with performance all seasons. It doesn't sound like you are, so you probably wouldn't enjoy the benefits that summer high performance tires offer over performance all seasons. And frankly, 95% of the folks on this forum wouldn't either.

On the other hand, winter tires in Northern Virginia? I lived in the DC area and northern virginia and you don't get the snow to warrant those things unless you're uncomfortable driving in any snow. Get all seasons on your new rims and sell off your stock rims.

there are some summer tires that last longer than all season, just check treadwear like LaLGT says.

I'm expecting 30k+ from my toyo T1R's

Event 30K wouldn't cut it for me. I'll pass 30K in a little more than a year and a half. My Eagle GTs are rated for 50K will last me almost twice as long.

Are you suggesting driving a single set of tires twice the life/distance rating is a good idea?

No. What I'm saying is that a long lasting AS tire (50K tread warranty) will last me almost twice as long as a long lasting summer tire (30K tread warranty).

Summer tires are great, just not for my driving style and long commute. Since the OP has a similar commute and driving style, I don't think that summer tires are worth it for him.

OP: Try Yokohama Advan S.4

+1 I'm running these now and am very happy with them so far. But they've only been on for a month, so I don't have a feel for what the treadlife is going to be.

Another good choice may be the Pirelli PZero Nero M+S. That's an All-Season tire that is more 'summer' oriented than most A/S tires. I still had lots of tread left on those at 30k miles when I switched wheels. However, I think Pirelli just replaced this model with the PZero Nero All Season, and I'm not sure what the differences are - you'd want to research that.

Seek first to understand, then to be understood.

In other words: SEARCH before you post!

I use the S.4 as a Summer tire. I had Toyo T1R's before in the same size and I feel that the S.4 is a better tire in every way accept heavy rain. The T1R was better at pumping water out from under it. I've been 100+ mph in HEAVY rain with the T1R. The S.4 starts to feel squirmy at anything over 80.

My T1R's would only last me one season. The S.4 just finished it's 2nd season. They have enough tread left to get me through a third if I baby them, but I'm not going to.

Both the T1R's and the S.4 have seen several track days. The S.4 has had much more power and better brakes than the T1R's.

(Updated 8/22/17)

2005 Outback FMT

Running on Electrons

thanks for all the feed back. I have been researching on companies websites and concluded for what i need i will probably go with all season tires.

If you're not a driving enthusiast, stick with performance all seasons. It doesn't sound like you are, so you probably wouldn't enjoy the benefits that summer high performance tires offer over performance all seasons. And frankly, 95% of the folks on this forum wouldn't either.

On the other hand, winter tires in Northern Virginia? I lived in the DC area and northern virginia and you don't get the snow to warrant those things unless you're uncomfortable driving in any snow. Get all seasons on your new rims and sell off your stock rims.

I would love to be able to track my car but my work just wont allow me to have the free time to do so. and true that the winters arent bad at all in nova.. i guess this years snow just got me all hyped up about gettin winter tires haha even though my current all seasons worked decently well in the snow. (my car came with kumho ecsta asx)

I use the S.4 as a Summer tire. I had Toyo T1R's before in the same size and I feel that the S.4 is a better tire in every way accept heavy rain. The T1R was better at pumping water out from under it. I've been 100+ mph in HEAVY rain with the T1R. The S.4 starts to feel squirmy at anything over 80.

Lunatic. :lol:

It rained at a track day. An instructor was in a camero with slicks when a sudden downpour occurred. Before he could even get the wipers on, he was off the track, through a rock field, and under a barbed wire fence. good times.

The S.4 isn't the best AS in the snow. It hasn't left me stranded in snow ever, but it did leave me wanting more.

(Updated 8/22/17)

2005 Outback FMT

Running on Electrons

Archived