LegacyGT.com

track setup 17s or 18s ?

NSFW

Anyone have any thoughts on whether 17s or 18s would be better for a set of dedicated trace wheels/tires? I won't be doing any timed events, I just want forgiving handling while I find the limits. I'm guessing that means shorter sidewalls would be better but I'm looking for experienced input.

Already have shocks/struts/springs/sways/etc. Just wondering about wheels and tires. I like the idea of having a dedicated set for track days, so I can chew up tires at the track and still run nice healthy tires the rest of the time.

Thanks in advance...

Anyone have any thoughts on whether 17s or 18s would be better for a set of dedicated trace wheels/tires? I won't be doing any timed events, I just want forgiving handling while I find the limits. I'm guessing that means shorter sidewalls would be better but I'm looking for experienced input.

Already have shocks/struts/springs/sways/etc. Just wondering about wheels and tires. I like the idea of having a dedicated set for track days, so I can chew up tires at the track and still run nice healthy tires the rest of the time.

Thanks in advance...

With no fender rolling get 17x8 (48mm offset IIRC) and run 235/40/17s.

Bigger will just cost more and be slower. Wider can be done, but then you have to run more camber, different offset (which may require coil-overs to clear) or roll fenders.

FWIW my Z1 Star-specs just barely clear on my 17x8s. They are about 3/4 wider then normal 235/4-/17s. I did have to take the rubber strip off the rear fender lip. (wagons may have a slight bit less wheel clearance, but normal 235/40/17s will fit)

17x8.5s may work (still recommend 235 width tires) but they are few and far between.

I'd be getting doing 8" wide at most, and probably 235, maybe 245 (maybe 225 if I find some 7.5" wide wheels that I like). The only question is 17 or 18. I've priced a few 17" and 18" wheel/tire setups and the cost difference is not enough to matter.

And I'm not likely to get larger brakes, since I've already got summer and winter setups using 17" wheels.

Is there any other advantage to 18" wheels, other than looking cooler? :)

18" wheels generally allow for Big Brake Kits (BBKs) that wouldn't usually fit 17s. Aside from that, not a whole lot of benefit going bigger. 18s are usually heavier than 17s, which can definitely make a difference. Although it is possible to find lightweight 18s, then tuck some over sized rotors and calipers there, and you are good to go.

Even if the 18s are the same weight the weight is farther from the center, so it takes more energy to spin, and slow.

Most BBKs will fit under 17s, unless you go with a BBK LOL :lol:.

My BBK fits under 17s no problem, So does Stoptech, and most others. The 355 rotors with 6 piston calipers do not.

So to answer your question, unless it is a brake fit issue, there is no advantage to 18s, just disadvantages.

I run 17X8 Rota G-force rims w 225/45/17 Dunlop star spec. no rubbing, but on very hard corners. I have a very slight rub on the springs on a stock setting. I cant hear any rubbing, but when I change the tire I see a clean spot on the spring from the tire, I think. I don't know how the 235 would fit with the star spec tire due to the way big side walls for awesome grip.

Archived