LegacyGT.com

How Do you know if?....

carguyco

Well, been reading about 1 week now....will be purchasing an 05-09 LegacyGT MT car as soon as my Accord sells.....

It seems maintenance on a turbo vehicle is even more important than a NA vehicle...so this poses some questions...and maybe even more questions that I haven't thought of...please feel free to add.

1..How do we know if theyused the higher (93) Octane fuel in the car..? And if they didn't...what problems will it cause..? And how do we check for this?

2..How do we know if they did oil changes frequently enough? And how do we check for this?

This is assuming no records are available...

Just for the record....when I do find the right car...I will be keeping diligent records so when I sell it the buyer can have some peace of mind..

Thanks in advance...

have a good mechanic look over the car and tell you honestly what they think.

x2!!! Buying a car for more than $10,000 without paying a mechanic $50-100 to look it over is kind-of dodgy. Think of the mechanic as protection... You know, like a condom.:lol:

What I am trying to say is... $100 is a small price to pay for peace-of-mind for the first 3-6 months with your new ride.

x2!!! Buying a car for more than $10,000 without paying a mechanic $50-100 to look it over is kind-of dodgy. Think of the mechanic as protection... You know, like a condom.:lol:

What I am trying to say is... $100 is a small price to pay for peace-of-mind for the first 3-6 months with your new ride.

x3. For the peace of mind alone it's worth $80 (what I paid for my inspection this summer when I bought my LGT).

a lot of smaller shops will do a free inspection. and just let them know you are looking to buy the car and tell them to nit pick everything they can find. but yes the 50-100 it may cost will be well worth it to know a real world condition of the car. this goes for all cars they will know more then you about common problems with certain makes and models. so any used car should be inspected through an outside mechanic.

a lot of smaller shops will do a free inspection. and just let them know you are looking to buy the car and tell them to nit pick everything they can find. but yes the 50-100 it may cost will be well worth it to know a real world condition of the car. this goes for all cars they will know more then you about common problems with certain makes and models. so any used car should be inspected through an outside mechanic.

A free inspection is something you get when a car you own has something wrong with it or they are trying to sell you something.

Too often we get what we pay for (or did not pay for).

If you want the standard form that says air filter, oil change, tune up, trans fluid, etc... Get a free inspection. If you actually want someone to care, pay them. Imagine how a shop feels after you show up with several cars that are not yours asking for free inspections just so you can buy. A lot of shops may do the inspections on the hope that you do the work, but that means they have reason to upsell.

I would be more likely to trust to work of a mechanic that I paid or a mechanic that I already have a relationship with than a random shop offering free inspections because they are hard up for work. If you have a usual shop, and they are close enough, they will maybe do the inspection for free because they know you will be back...

My 2 cents. I know we are not made out of money, and maybe a TON of great shops give free inspections, but I think some things are great to skimp on and some things are not. Also, it is kind-of unfair to take a car to a shop and if something is wrong with it, it puts up a red flag so you don't buy it and they don't get the work... Funny little process.

My plan is to let the local Non Subbie Dealer do the inspection(s).....

The tough part is that since I'm a car salesman...I would love to buy a car at auction...which means I need someone to inspect these things pre-auction.....which is a bit tougher.

A free inspection is something you get when a car you own has something wrong with it or they are trying to sell you something.

Too often we get what we pay for (or did not pay for).

If you want the standard form that says air filter, oil change, tune up, trans fluid, etc... Get a free inspection. If you actually want someone to care, pay them. Imagine how a shop feels after you show up with several cars that are not yours asking for free inspections just so you can buy. A lot of shops may do the inspections on the hope that you do the work, but that means they have reason to upsell.

I would be more likely to trust to work of a mechanic that I paid or a mechanic that I already have a relationship with than a random shop offering free inspections because they are hard up for work. If you have a usual shop, and they are close enough, they will maybe do the inspection for free because they know you will be back...

My 2 cents. I know we are not made out of money, and maybe a TON of great shops give free inspections, but I think some things are great to skimp on and some things are not. Also, it is kind-of unfair to take a car to a shop and if something is wrong with it, it puts up a red flag so you don't buy it and they don't get the work... Funny little process.

i am a mechanic. i know how they feal. free bull shit is how we get you in the door and try to make money on other stuff.

Archived