LegacyGT.com

Mercedes ?

I really, really, really want a ~2005 S65 AMG. I'd take a clean S600 too, and they're half the price. My only sticking point is insurance is double what it is on my LGT.

My brother drives a CL65 AMG (after my suggestion) and I'd love the sedan equivalent.

I was thinking of selling my GT Wagon for an E55 AMG Wagon... then a quick visit to the MB Forums researching reliability and repair work quickly changed my mind. There's a reason why they're cheap in the used market. I guess I'll put the AMG wagon on hold till I can afford to keep one running.

From an actual owners experience, I'd like to hear your points of view on reliability... at least for the newer models ('00 and up)

I've thought about an AMG but I was scared of what I read. Mercedes are expensive to maintain normally. When you factor in AMG specific parts, adjustable shocks, large brakes etc it keeps me from pulling the trigger. I would rock a CLS63 if it was just for weekend cruising.

I expect to own one car that's a money pit. It doesn't bother me that much, and there are certainly worse places to waste money.

I stay on top of maintenance and don't rely on the dealership to do everything (anything!) for me. The v12 doesn't look too complicated to me. Everything is sensibly laid out and is far more accessible than my Stealth TT was underhood.

I was looking at E55s first when I saw the S600 was available for just a little more. You can go crazy fast with the supercharged v8 but the v12 is just that much nicer -- endless and effortless torque, and the aftermarket makes stupid power with just a tune.

I tried to get my dad into an '02 CLK430 a while back, but he got an A6 instead. For a while MB didn't do much for me...until the new E class. Love the return of the squarish design. It gets better gas mileage and its $3k cheaper than the outgoing model. I also like that there is an S class out now that is less than $90k.

I do not like that it is near impossible to get a MB with a manual transmission. I also think that MB is lacking with their 3.5L V6. Its fuel economy is on par with the 3.5L DI unit in the GS or the Turbo 3.0L in the 5 series, but the power just isn't there like in the vehicles that I mentioned.

The 600 V12 is a very cool engine but still expensive to maintain. $105 for a fuel filter, anyone? And anything on a 220/221 chassis isn't cheap to begin with. Yes, it's less than SL parts and far less than AMG parts but still quickly runs into money. Those engines quickly eat up bushings and suspension pieces.

As opposed to my LGT that I've spent about $15k on on the past 5 years? That's on top of the $30k purchase price.

You can buy a one owner, showroom-clean S600 with low miles for under $30k. An ECU tune = 12.0 or quicker timeslips and there's nothing else to do but regular maintenance. Not a bad compromise to me!

As opposed to my LGT that I've spent about $15k on on the past 5 years? That's on top of the $30k purchase price.

You can buy a one owner, showroom-clean S600 with low miles for under $30k. An ECU tune = 12.0 or quicker timeslips and there's nothing else to do but regular maintenance. Not a bad compromise to me!

Hey, I'm just going off what I see every day in my dealer. Whatever you do, make sure it's a CPO'd one. That warranty has saved many a thousand in some of the cars I've seen. Who did you look into for the reflash? Renntech?

I never made it that far. When I discovered my engine was shot I considered selling the car as-is for $10k. Then I saw that any Benz I'd want (E55 or S600) would more than double my insurance so I decided to fix the LGT and look at a Mercedes later on.

My brother's CL65 was CPO (19k miles) and he's waiting till it's out of warranty to do any mods. He's looking at this package: [ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tUnE500utg8]YouTube- CL65 DRAG RACE 10.73@130mph[/ame]

A quick search shows 692 rwhp / 912 rwtq with just a tune and intercooler upgrade. No other hardware required. Of course this run is on slicks (could be drag radials). Car belongs to Marko (big Supra owner).

Archived