LegacyGT.com

Throttle Position Sensor Install Proceedure

Does anyone have the install proceedure for the throttle position sensor? I would assume those slotted mounting holes are slotted for a reason? If I had to quess I would say that you adjust so the sensor is at the beggining of travel as soon as you open the throttle plate in the throttle body.

The car is a 96 Legacy wagon (not the outback) with the 2.2 liter AWD automatic.

Perry

I have the Haynes Manual and all it was is "when installing the throttle position sensor, be sure to align the socket locating tangs on the sensor with the throttle shaft in the throttle body", then says "installation is the reverse of removal." I dont see anything about setting the voltage to 5V. I hope this helps.

I got subarupartsforyou.com to send me the page out of the factory shop manual. I bought the part from them. The manual says rotate the TPS until the voltage with the throttle closed is .45 to.55V on the the output side of the TPS. I am assuming that 12V goes in and .5V is coming out with the throttle closed. When you open the throttle the voltage will go up towards 12V. I ment to say .5V before not 5V.

It says to remove connector B84 on the ECM and measure voltage on pins 24 and 25 with the key on using a volt meter. I would think you could pic the voltage off of the TPS at the plug using a stick pin stuck in the lead wires etc. Some OBD-II readers may also be able to measure the voltage. Now at least I have some calibration to shoot for.

This is why I always get factory shop manuals whenever possible. The aftermarket manuals don't tell you the fine points of how to test a sensor and what the nominal values are.

Perry

Archived