LegacyGT.com

Noobie Intake/Exhaust Questions

mog1017

OK, so here's the deal. This is the second car I've ever owned. The first was an Audi TT which I left stock because, well, its an Audi TT. Other than that I have owned trucks and jeeps and motorcycles my whole life. I've been getting the mod bug with the LGT and am kinda worried about satisfying it. Every time I've put intakes and exhausts on my trucks and jeeps, my gas mileage went down. Maybe that's cuz I put bigger tires on them all too, I dunno. :rolleyes: But I really wanna put the STI uppipe, gut the stock dp, open up the airbox with the induction cover mod for now. I just hope I don't lose gas mileage already....I'll take any advice I can get!

No need to mess with the intake. It is good to at least 300 hp. Start with a VAG-COM cable ($15-20 on ebay) and get a stage 1 tune (Infamous1 charges $175?).

Drive the car a bit, it will be a lot different. Then get an uppipe, DP (aftermarket are better than gutted stock, ERZ catted is $330), and a stage 2 tune. CBE not needed, but adds a few ponies and a nice sound.

Since you have a 5EAT, get a tranny oil cooler while you are at it.

My 2 cents.

^^^

Listen to the man. He hit the nail on the head. And FYI, since you seem concerned about gas mileage, some people report a 1-2mpg GAIN with a stg2 setup. Granted, that means keeping your foot out of it.:p:lol:

Keep your foot out of it?!? Is that my problem?

My only question to the OP would be, why would you buy a turbo charged car, want to mod it for MORE power and be concerned about gas mileage?

Maybe you should buy a Prius instead. :lol::p;)

LOL My concern isn't so much losing a little mileage as I'm bound to do that even if I should be gaining it cuz my foot will only get heavier the more mods I put on it. What I've seen in my jeeps and toyotas is going from 20+ mpg down to like 13 mpg. That really hurts the pocket book, especially when you have to buy premium :)

I have a stage 2.5 5EAT. Highway mileage is about 24-25mpg. City is 17-18mpg. I also have a stage 2.5 SpecB. Highway mileage is about 27-28mpg. City is 21-22mpg.

Of course if I lead foot it everywhere it gets a little worse, but not much.

I'm waiting to see what my fuel pump, 750cc injectors and 68HTA will yield for mpg. That should be interesting, lol.

good call on the tranny oil cooler sprank! my buddy is running a 5eat lgt and ill pass on the knowledge.

Cheap insurance. Subaru should have included one from the factory. I run a Tru-cool 4454. Cost about $50 delivered. Install takes 30 minutes. All you need is in the kit except for a barbed fitting from Lowes/Home Depot that cost $1. Do it right and you don't even lose any fluid, just add a little for the displacement of the cooler.

• 1 month later...
Cheap insurance. Subaru should have included one from the factory. I run a Tru-cool 4454. Cost about $50 delivered. Install takes 30 minutes. All you need is in the kit except for a barbed fitting from Lowes/Home Depot that cost $1. Do it right and you don't even lose any fluid, just add a little for the displacement of the cooler.

Want more info...any posts about this?

Where did you buy it for $50 and where do you mount this cooler? Sounds like a smart investment.

Sorry for threadjack!

Archived