LegacyGT.com

Something might be wrong

So i noticed today that my car has a wierd smell whenever i finish driving somehwere for a little bit. It kinda smells like gear oil. I dont have a lift, or jack, or stands, but what i can see from lieing underneath the car is i dont see oil everywhere. I can kinda see something on i think the cat. Im going to use the emergency jack stand and lift it a little up tomorrow and see what i see.

Also i noticed a feeling when im driving sometimes. It kinda feels like going over the little slashes on the side of the freeway roads to make sure you stay awake, but way less pronounced. barely feeling it. I dont feel it if i turn the car to the right but only when im going straight. It gets faster when i go left too.

Checked the differential dipstick underneath the intercooler cover and it was at the low mark. Going to add some to it tomorrow.

everything feels nice. steering feels correctly. driving feels normal. Transmission feels normal that i know off.

oh is the diff dipstick the transmission also?

any guess on what it might be? Hopefully just a seal if anything. Gotta get a jack somewhere.

For a MT car the front diff dipstick is also the gearbox. Located on the right side of the gearbox.

Notice that the car must be placed absolutely flat when checking the dipstick. If it is parked uphill - like in a driveway - you will get an incorrect reading.

My thought is also that it's a CV boot or possibly engine oil. If you have a turbo you should take extra care to REALLY check the oil pipes to the turbo.

453747.png

i dont think its engine oil. It doesnt smell like burnt oil. more like gear oil. I accidently spilled mobil one gear oil all in my truck when i changed it awhile ago and thats what it smelled like. Just kinda burnt. plus the low level of the diff/trans dipstick(if im right in assuming they are the same on this car) leads me to believe thats what it is and not the engine oil. either way sunday. all the fluid are getting changed at my friends work. i also have a friend who parents own almost every tool possible and he is a mechanic so between the two of us once i look at it i think we can fix it. I hope. I dont wanna buy a whole new tranny after owning the car for like three days.

If it's just a leaking seal it's not a big issue to fix. You only have to worry if the transmission sounds bad.

But if you find bad things, take photos before you do any work, that may be useful to have if you are to "discuss" things with previous owner.

453747.png

Well good news and bad news. Good news is i found out where the leak is. Its on the backside of the transmission where it meets the driveshaft. It looks to just be a gasket that needs replacing. it is also pretty easy to get to atleast. Bad News i still gotta fix it. But my friend and i should be able to get that done this next weekend.

And i still cant figure out what the wierd vibration feeling is. I only feel it around 40 and above. I dont feel it turning right only going straight and i feel it more going to the left and kinda faster feeling. Do you think it could be my tire needs balancing?

oh and the vibration is an off and on thing. like if i had something on a tire and kept running it over as it circles around kinda off and on.

So i did a little reading and maybe my rim is out of wack and needs rebalancing and making sure its not bent?

Just make sure that the leak isn't caused by a bad center diff and that's why you have a vibration. That can be expensive. Price in the range from $900 to $1700...

Just which model, year, type of gearbox etc is your car really?

I had an '04 where the center diff was going, and that was a faint noise somewhat like a helicopter in the speed range you describe.

Since I was in a hurry I resolved it by changing my car to a new one.

Also check this thread: http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php?t=128098 Thread contains links to other threads, and at least one with a video with sound.

Notice that it isn't necessary that it is the problem you have, just be prepared for it.

453747.png

mines an 05 legacy gt with the 5spd. What should i look for when we replace the gasket?

If the center diff was going wouldnt the vibration speed up with acceleration? this one is constant unless i turn to the left then it speeds up a little bit.

Front wheel bearing is my guess for the vibration. My money is on the right one. As you drive straight there is load on the bearings and race, as you turn left more load is placed on the right bearing, as you turn right the load is lifted off of the right bearing. Also the right wheel has to do more revolutions on a left turn than on a right turn so the the vibration frequency will increase slightly.

There are two major causes of bearing failure:

1. The seal disintegrates and the grease becomes contaminated with moisture and dirt.

2. Usually after an abrupt impact the ball bearings leave a small impression on the race. As the ball bearings run over these impresssions it causes the vibration and they make the impressions worse and the tolerances change alowing movement inside the bearing assembly, then the seal goes because of the extra movement and the bearing will start to overheat if driven too far as well.

you will get the burning smell from an over heated bearing. Also if there is enough movement in the bearing it can cause the brakes to drag on that wheel making the overheating situation worse. After driving it for a while check and see if one wheel is hotter than the others. I use a laser thermometer, or you can use your hand but be careful touching an overheated hub as it can burn you. Dragging brakes have been known to get hot enough to start vehicles on fire......

would that be right side from inside the car or outside of it looking at it?

always from the inside sitting down,its far less confusing than driver/pass or from front/back. its because those people from across the oceans drive backwards you know.....:lol:

• 4 weeks later...
So update. I think i found the vibration issue. I replaced the rear two tires today(my front two were brand new from the guy i got it). One of the rears developed a bubble. They were pretty new also but a different brand so i just replaced both. Had them balance all tires. i added an alignment just to make sure everything was fine. I get there and the shop guy says the back right rim is BENT slightly. Doh! :(. Im pretty sure that was the original front right rim because the new ones are on the front and it looks like that rim that was on the front right. i havent driven it any faster than 40 yet cause i literally live a mile from the shop and my work. So i barely got to feel the vibration but i think its less pronounced. I did get them to give me a road warranty for all 4 tires, and not just the two new ones. I also get free balance/rotations every 5000miles. So hopefully thats just the problem. I can live with that tell i get replacement rims though.

oh i fixed that a week or so after posting this. Was the rear seal to the tranny where the drive shaft enters the tranny. cost about 70 in gaskets.

sad note. im pretty sure the vibration now isnt the wheel lol. pretty sure its what stock sucks says. whatever bent the rim probably did this:

2. Usually after an abrupt impact the ball bearings leave a small impression on the race. As the ball bearings run over these impresssions it causes the vibration and they make the impressions worse and the tolerances change alowing movement inside the bearing assembly, then the seal goes because of the extra movement and the bearing will start to overheat if driven too far as well.

Thinking this cause the vibration still goes away when i turn right

So update. I think i found the vibration issue. I replaced the rear two tires today(my front two were brand new from the guy i got it). One of the rears developed a bubble. They were pretty new also but a different brand so i just replaced both. Had them balance all tires. i added an alignment just to make sure everything was fine. I get there and the shop guy says the back right rim is BENT slightly. Doh! :(. Im pretty sure that was the original front right rim because the new ones are on the front and it looks like that rim that was on the front right. i havent driven it any faster than 40 yet cause i literally live a mile from the shop and my work. So i barely got to feel the vibration but i think its less pronounced. I did get them to give me a road warranty for all 4 tires, and not just the two new ones. I also get free balance/rotations every 5000miles. So hopefully thats just the problem. I can live with that tell i get replacement rims though.

If you only changed tires on one axle you will have a difference in circumference between rear and front and that can wear the center differential.

453747.png

Archived