LegacyGT.com

CAR wont reflash

bdickey058

ok sooooo here is how we do it at the dealers. when we put on the spt exhaust or the spt intake. we go into the ecm and just clear the memory. what this does is erase all learning the ecm has learned from its factory setting.. drivability, drivers habbits, blah blah. then just simply start the car up and let it idle for about 5 minutes. this lets the ecm get a fresh start and adjust to the new intake and exhaust that was put on the car. drive it a little without beating on it and you should be good to go. this is only for minor upgrades... if ur doing any fuel or boost changes u should get it reflashed. also if u dont have access to a scantool u can simply disconnect your battery for an extended amount of time, but ull also loose all ur other settings.

ps. the green conector should be plugged in when reflashing the ecm but does not have to be to clear the memory.

Here's where we are at....

He's about 3 hours North of me and I'll be going that way a few times in the near future, so I'm going to meet up with him in the next week or so and see if I can get a know good laptop, software and cable configuration to connect to his car.

If I cannot get my tuning latop to connect to his car; then I'll look for a piggyback ECM unit on the car. If there is no other hardware installed; then I would guess that someone had an APv2 installed and used AccessTuner-Race to make changes and then left it married when they sold the car.

I've got a Cobb APv1 cable and a couple different VAG-COM cables and all the software, so if I can't get connected to it; then there has to be something locking the ECU out. I'm pretty confident that we will know what's up as soon as I can get my hands on the car for a minute.

What really has me wondering if it's already been tuned and locked is the fact that he says he has a cattless DP and no CEL. Sounds like it already has STg2 tune on it. You can get away with gutting one of the stock cats or running a catted DP and possibly, maybe not pop a CEL, but cattless and no CEL?

Let's kick this pig!

i bought the car about a 1.5 years ago from a guy in Wisconsin. when i got the car it had nothing done to it that i new of besides had swift springs on it. then i put a cbe,up/down on it and a intake. since then i have wanted to get it tuned but could never get it figured out. so i got on here and thought you guys might be able to help me. now i dont know if the car has been reflashed or not b/c i recently got a boost gauge and some of the gears i can overboost in if i get abouve 18 psi. it will throw a check engine light. so idk, this weekend wont work but next weekend on sunday i should meet you in sioux city and do some stuff. then the following weekend i will be in omaha and we can do some more stuff there!

i bought the car about a 1.5 years ago from a guy in Wisconsin. when i got the car it had nothing done to it that i new of besides had swift springs on it. then i put a cbe,up/down on it and a intake. since then i have wanted to get it tuned but could never get it figured out. so i got on here and thought you guys might be able to help me. now i dont know if the car has been reflashed or not b/c i recently got a boost gauge and some of the gears i can overboost in if i get abouve 18 psi. it will throw a check engine light. so idk, this weekend wont work but next weekend on sunday i should meet you in sioux city and do some stuff. then the following weekend i will be in omaha and we can do some more stuff there!

That's weird that you are hitting 18 psi on what you only know to be a stock tune. :confused: Anyway can you get a hold of the previous owner to shed a little light on the situation? I'm guessing you already have a stage 2 tune as well.

I'll give you a call here in the next couple days and we'll see if we can make something work for this weekend. Otherwise, it looks like we will have to hook up when you are down here in Omaha next weekend(13th/14th).
Let's kick this pig!

qiksilver, where you been buddy? i found this on the net, tell me if this seems right.

There is a simpler, easier way.

Find a friend with an AP v2. Have them unmarry the AP v2 from their car.

Marry the AP v2 to the car with the EcuTek ECU. A message will be displayed "a flash already exists on this ECU. Data will be lost!" Go ahead and continue.

Unmarry the AP v2 immediately afterwards. The ECU will be restored to a clean version without EcuTek.

I have done this personally on my own car (2005 STI). I had a hunch that it would work, so I called Cobb to ask. They wouldn't come out and say it, but they basically admitted that it was possible. I am not sure about the 16-bit ECUs or JDM ECUs. I would imagine it to be the same.

Not sure. Sounds like a decent idea. Could it get much worse than it is? I guess the car could become not drivable. But, if you have to pull the ecu to send to Cobb, it is not drivable anyway.

Fire in the hole.

Let us know how it turns out.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Archived