LegacyGT.com

Wierd clutch problem, help please

Hello!

I drive 1991 Legacy SS EJ20G engine..... ever since i bought it, 2 months ago, i had a problem with clutch pedal.... under acceleration, pedal would sink, and stay down untill i pop it back up with my leg... clutch was bad and i was told that problem will disappear when i replace the clutch... BUT.... same thing with clutch pedal would happen on heavy braking, so, while some significant pressure is applied to the brake, clutch pedal would sink, but clutch works....

So, today i picked up the car from shop where new clutch kit and new flywheel was installed.... and guess what... problem stays.... pedal sinks on acceleration, and on braking....

I know that fluid both in brakes and clutch hydraulics is probably old and i will change it.... but i also know that systems are separate..... And im really confused about whole thing....

Could it maybe be some vacuum issue or something? Please help because it drives me crazy.

Tnx

EDIT:

I forgot to mention that i tried to press brake hard when stopped in neutral, and then press clutch pedal too.... and then it doesnt sink..?

Anyway - at that age I really suspect that the clutch master cylinder is due for a renovation or replacement. Probably the slave cylinder too. And notice that there may be a clutch damper too on the hydraulic line that can possibly be a cause for the problem.

But I think that you also should check if there is a broken spring for the clutch pedal in the pedal rack, and that the pedal rack is firmly in place so you aren't in for a really bad surprise.

453747.png

As I noted - there are several things to check.

The pedal rack itself, and that's related to the brake pedal.

If the master cylinder goes bad it may be that there is a leak by the piston cup seal in the master cylinder. It's a rubber seal and when it ages it shrinks, and that means that the cup sides won't press as good against the cylinder walls. So a slow press on the pedal will allow a leak of fluid by the seal while a faster push on the pedal can actually make it seal "normally" because the cup sides expands against the cylinder walls.

So test a slow versus a fast press on the clutch pedal and see if you can get something interesting results.

And if you see that there is a problem with the hydraulics I would strongly recommend that you take care of both ends since it will just be a question of time before the other end goes too. And being without a clutch is not funny.

453747.png

Archived