LegacyGT.com

45k stock 05 GT wagon started this behavior a couple of weeks ago

mr_edly

My 45k stock 05 GT wagon with 5EAT started this behavior a couple of weeks ago:

CEL, flashing cruise, sometimes Sport light flashes. When Sport light flashes, 5EAT doesn't upshift -- stays at 5,500rpm at 40mph.

Turning off ignition and restarting often resolves Sport light flashing, and allows proper upshifting.

Thows codes

P0700 --> AT MIL light up request. Probable cause -- Check TCM for service codes

P1798 --> Gear 1 Engine Breaks

P0771 --> AT Low Clutch Timing, Solenoid Valve Circuit Malfunction, Shift Solenoid E Malfunction

C0108 -- > ABS wheel speed sensor front-left

AT fluid at correct level, smells fine, not visibly dirty.

I removed/inspected the FL wheel speed sensor, found it intact with no cracks or obvious loose-connections. I blew compressed-air into/through the hole in which it rests, but it still threw the same codes.

I bought this "new" as a demo with 9Kmiles on it in 2007. I've never launched it or had any problems with the car -- but I don't know how it was treated as a demo.

The 60k/5yr powertrain warranty tells me to let the dealership work on it for free.

Subaru first instructed dealership to upgrade TCM firmware,

then dealership upgraded ECU firmware, but only the C0108 code disappeared -- rest of the symptoms and codes remain.

Now Subaru is instructing them to install a new valve body.

Any suggestions for inspecting this work?

Is/should a fluid/filter change be involved when swapping the valve body, or can they legitimately skip that?

Are there any symptoms in particular I should look for in the future (for the next 15k miles ‘til the powertrain warranty expires)?

TIA, Ed :)

What did you use to pull the codes? When I had issues with one of the sensors on the 5EAT I used a generic code scanner and it sent me on a wild goose chase, blaming the ABS sensors. When it comes to the transmission, I would only rely on the Subaru Select Monitor to properly pull and identify the codes. I would go to the dealer and have them pull the codes.

When my rear speed sensor went out, I had the same thing going on with the Sport light flashing. I would kill the ignition and it would go completely away. Even if this happens, don't let the dealer turn you away because the TCU stores the codes in memory. Keep us posted.

I pulled the codes using the 05's internal diagnostic, accessed by plugging the white connectors into each other and powering-on the car without starting it.

The Subaru-supplied laptop that the dealership mechanic used while I watched pulled the same codes, except for one: C0108 hasn't returned after they flash-upgrading the TCM.

A VB replacement doesn't sound like a disadvantage to me -- even if it's just the loose wire/connection that they're resolving.

Outside the warranty, I think I'd probably choose to resolve this myself with a IPT VB.

Thanks for the link to the thread with the photos -- it's nice to see what I'm trying to talk about.

It appears to me that a fluid/filter change be totally be involved when swapping the VB, based on what they have to remove to access the VB. Is that reasonable?

• 4 years later...

Sorry for the long lag. Here's the followup/resolution:

Dealership's next step was to replace valve body of transmission, and it's worked fine without problems since then. Thanks for the help -- getting this warranty work done right before warranty expired saved me lots.

Archived