LegacyGT.com

Looking to buy a used Subaru soon - some questions

So I am currently looking at a used Subaru in my local area. It is a 98 Legacy 2.5 GT, and I am not certain about some stuff the guy says, I'm not too auto-mechanically inclined. Has 117k miles on it.

So the guy says that the headgasket for the old motor blew, and he replaced it with a EJ25D JDM motor from www.risingsunengines.com . He also said that the JDM engines are the same as the USDM engines and the only difference is the bolt on location and is smog legal, "as most Suabrus do." Will this pass smog in California?

He also said Rising Sun replaced the water pump, timing, gaskets and seals. And since his purchase he's replaced the clutch, flywheel, front driver's wheel bearing, both front CV half-shafts, radiator, water pump, timing components/belt, stereo, front speakers/tweaters, and Group-N engine, transmission and pitch mounts.

The guy also said that Rising Sun Engines may have misinstalled the valve cover gaskets, as they leak a little bit on longer trips, but the gaskets themselves are about $40 from Kragen, and $180 for labor at a name brand place. Does this sound about right?

What problems might I run into if I purchase this car, and would the engine still be prone to head gasket problems? The swapped motor has around 10k miles. What price range should this car be at?

Wow I have a 98lgt and haven't had to replace anything close to as much as that car. Sounds like most of the car is brand new lol. So if I'm right the head gasket blew around 107k which is reasonable. I wouldn't worry about the valve cover gaskets they are not to bad to fix. Idk much about the JDM engines so I cant help you there. But I do see that that company sells used engines so there may only be 10k on the motor since the swap, so who knows how many miles are on the actual engine. I know KBB for my car right now with 166.6k is $4300. I would expect to pay somewhere in the range of $3500-5k depending on how many miles are really on that engine. Just my $.02, hope this helps

Is there a reason you're looking at a 98 over something newer with fewer miles? Granted its a newer engine, but some of the other parts have faced 10+ years of wear and tear. If you're just looking for a starter car for a few years, then I would agree with the 98, but if you're looking to drive it for a while, I would look at a newer one without the liability of an engine swap. But that's just my opinion, take it or leave it.
It's cool; I'm with the band

Archived