LegacyGT.com

What is this?

It's a very good idea to replace that boot - and to clean and lubricate before the new boot is put on. Otherwise your steering may go bad.

Lol, mine's been torn for like two years now and still running strong! Need more munies!!!

But yeah, don't do what I do. Fix it.

You'll need a new rack and pinion boot and some grease. Easiest way to change it is probably to disconnect that steering link from the knuckle and slide the new boot on.

edit: And according to the FSM, the grease you need is "VALIANT GREASE M2" which I assume you can only get at the stealership for probably a few thousand bucks an ounce.

Can you guys really see a crack in the steering rack boot? I'm not seeing it...

Describe the annoying sound please. Is it a clicking noise the remains once you're at a certain steering angle? If so, it's not the steering rack at all. Check both sides and make sure your drive axle boots are all fine.

Can you guys really see a crack in the steering rack boot? I'm not seeing it...

Describe the annoying sound please. Is it a clicking noise the remains once you're at a certain steering angle? If so, it's not the steering rack at all. Check both sides and make sure your drive axle boots are all fine.

This is my fault. This is just a picture on google I found of someone taking their hub apart. I never took a picture of my car. The one on mine is ripped in half. I have replaced both CV boots about 3 weeks ago.

Hi, Thats a track rod end (also called a tie rod end). The noise you describe while turning is most probably a worn CV joint. The louder the clicking the more severe the noise.

A slightly worn CV can be rejuvenated with a thorough clean up and plenty of graphite grease plus a new axle boot. If the noise persists the CV joint needs replacing.

Archived