LegacyGT.com

My Legacy 1990 turbo 2.0 (manual) starts to jerk when I push her hard

Hi Guys,

When I try to push the gas pedal to the maximum while accelerating the car starts to jerk.

In the beginning we thought it could be because of the older turbo design but the guy I met a couple of days ago told me his Legacy GT (same as mine) accelerated smoothly and he even didn't know what I was talking about.

So far I didn't have much time to investigate this problem. I'm sort of collecting info on this. I've just added some injector cleaner in assumption that this problem originates from the fuel lines.

I really want to address this issue as I don't want to ruin the engine after we replaced HGs etc.

Has anybody ever had this sort of problems or has anyone an idea?

Cheers

More fuel is usually needed during cold weather, so that can also indicate that the fuel pump is weakening. So checking the fuel pressure both when idle and under full load will get a good indication.

Also - check out vacuum hoses. There may be a manifold pressure sensor connected via a vacuum hose and if the hose leaks the sensor will get wrong reading and you will get the wrong mixture. A general check/replacement of rubber hoses may be good.

As for plugs/wires - just replace the plugs with new ones, that's no big deal. Clean the wires and ignition coils. Don't use a lubricating agent like WD40, rather pure ethanol or similar that isn't too aggressive and evaporates. The cables and coils shall be clean and dry. The lubrication that exists in WD40 will attract dirt big time.

Of course - you can also replace the wires, they aren't that expensive. Old rubber wires may be cracked.

The spark plugs/wires can of course also cause the car to jerk if they are bad.

453747.png

More fuel is usually needed during cold weather, so that can also indicate that the fuel pump is weakening. So checking the fuel pressure both when idle and under full load will get a good indication.

Also - check out vacuum hoses. There may be a manifold pressure sensor connected via a vacuum hose and if the hose leaks the sensor will get wrong reading and you will get the wrong mixture. A general check/replacement of rubber hoses may be good.

As for plugs/wires - just replace the plugs with new ones, that's no big deal. Clean the wires and ignition coils. Don't use a lubricating agent like WD40, rather pure ethanol or similar that isn't too aggressive and evaporates. The cables and coils shall be clean and dry. The lubrication that exists in WD40 will attract dirt big time.

Of course - you can also replace the wires, they aren't that expensive. Old rubber wires may be cracked.

The spark plugs/wires can of course also cause the car to jerk if they are bad.

Thanks, man!

Archived