LegacyGT.com

'95 Legacy - I'm buying this, please help!

Hey so completely new to this forum, but my first car was an STi. Before I start I should add that this is NOT a video of the car I'm looking at but this is how much play the manual shift on the car im looking at has when its in gear. Does anyone know if this is normal for a manual 95 legacy to move around this much while in gear: [ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d5ysGJFjzC8]YouTube- 1997 Subaru Legacy Outback Shifter Rattle[/ame]

it shifts into its gears fine and i dont think i noticed any noise, but is the shifter supposed to have that much room to move around when its in gear? and if anyone has anymore on advice on things to check to make sure its in good shape? Is there a way to test the shifter to see if it's in bad shape? he had it tuned up and new tires and all that recently but it's high mileage, probably around 270K miles but odometer says 214K (found out on autochceck) so thinking the odometer was switched out or maybe a clerical error. Also, what kinda mileage have you guy s seen with these cars? should it easily make it over 300K or should i expect it to go soon and have repairs soon?

Thanks so much for any help and sorry for my ignorance. I just sold my Vespa to buy this car as long as it checks out.

I mean i have a 1999 subaru legacy gt manual and my shifter has little to no play while in gear, that seems a little ridiculous that it would be that loose. Not sure if that helps but thought id give ya what little insight I can.

gear linkage needs replacing, i had this on an old ford van , the noise is most likely coming from the linkage rattling as it is loose, and then vibrating through the gear stick. basically replace the linkage and all should be fine. it's a pretty cheap job to replace it aswell :)

Archived