LegacyGT.com

STAGE 2 and Loving it....

zeusdog34

Ok so Im fairly new to this forum but have been reading through it for a while.. I have a 07 LGT manual with 40k.. I have been stage 1 for a month and noticed a difference in the way the car ran(smoother,better exceleration). Stage 2 is much more noticeable in the power..I have a Cobb av2 running OTS stage 2 map..The Cobb is mounted in the car so i can use the real time data.. I have done a few WOT runs. In 3rd peak BOOST is 16.9 and AFR is 11(not too bad)..So far really liking the new found POWER:)

I had the ERZ DP installed today($120)

MODS:

AVO Panel filter(drop in)

COBB av2 ots stage 2

ERZ Catted Downpipe

Stock Cans(removed middle muffler/silencer)

Whiteline strut tower brace

STI front lip

/ A lot more. I went from Cobb stg 2 OTS map to a protune . . . world of difference. Cobb OTS maps are junk.

How is a Cobb OTS map 'junk' because Cobb intentionally decided not to run as much boost as other vendors choose to do? How does that make it a junk map? The logic people seem to have around here is that if the map doesn't push the stock turbo really hard, or run the timing on the bleeding edge of detonating, or ramp up the drive-by-wire maps to make the throttle touchy, it must be 'junk.'

Cobb has a network of Protuners who pay $Texas for the Pro software so that they can sell locked maps with higher boost targets. Of course, since nobody can read the Pro maps, many assume that there is some kind of voodoo black magic going on here to make these pro maps so much better than the 'junk' OTS maps.

The reality is, it's all part of a logical business plan. They sell people a map that [gasp] leaves a significant safety margin by not pushing the stock turbo to its limits. Then if people want more boost, they either tune it themselves or buy a locked Protune map, which in turn increases demand from shops for the software.

On the customer side, Cobb's screwed no matter what it seems. If they sell an aggressive OTS map, a higher percentage of people will have reliabilty problems (that's what happens when you push a component harder) and people will bitch.

If they sell a conservative OTS map, 1/3 of the people will bitch that it's not aggressive enough. 1/3 of the people won't follow the instructions (use an aftermarket intake or run no cat) and have problems, then bitch about it. The other 1/3 who are satisfied often have no desire to post on an internet forum about a product that met their expectations, especially when they will probably get shouted down.

On the search for a new DD...

How is a Cobb OTS map 'junk' because Cobb intentionally decided not to run as much boost as other vendors choose to do? How does that make it a junk map? The logic people seem to have around here is that if the map doesn't push the stock turbo really hard, or run the timing on the bleeding edge of detonating, or ramp up the drive-by-wire maps to make the throttle touchy, it must be 'junk.'

Cobb has a network of Protuners who pay for the Pro software so that they can sell locked maps with higher boost targets. Of course, since nobody can read the Pro maps, many assume that there is some kind of voodoo black magic going on here to make these pro maps so much better than the 'junk' OTS maps.

The reality is, it's all part of a logical business plan. They sell people a map that [gasp] leaves a significant safety margin by not pushing the stock turbo to its limits. Then if people want more boost, they either tune it themselves or buy a locked Protune map, which in turn increases demand from shops for the software.

On the customer side, Cobb's screwed no matter what it seems. If they sell an aggressive OTS map, a higher percentage of people will have reliabilty problems (that's what happens when you push a component harder) and people will bitch.

If they sell a conservative OTS map, 1/3 of the people will bitch that it's not aggressive enough. 1/3 of the people won't follow the instructions (use an aftermarket intake or run no cat) and have problems, then bitch about it. The other 1/3 who are satisfied often have no desire to post on an internet forum about a product that met their expectations, especially when they will probably get shouted down.

Even people with ctas had problems about running lean or rich. the problem with OTS is that is tailored to fit every far. Meaning, some cars will go with it well, and other will run rich, or will run lean. With a protune, it is tuned for your car, and your car only making it safe and fast by not just adding boost, but advancing timeing, more fuel, more wgdc more idc etcetc. I am not nocking the Cobb OTS, it is a great start point, but it leaves a lot on the table.

Just log it. The AP is mounted in the car. If the OP is happy with his investment and the way the car runs thats all that matters. Its not my car, its his. If the logs are clean, might just want to leave well enough alone until you are ready for more mods.

You will want more, lol.

In 3rd peak BOOST is 16.9 and AFR is 11(not too bad).

Just FYI, if you're using the AP and the stock O2 sensor, the AFR readings are not correct. You're actually richer than 11, but the lowest reading the car will log is 11.04 or 11.14 or something like that.

Until/unless someone finds a way around that limit, you're going to need an aftermarket O2 sensor to get readings below 11.1 or so.

thanks for all the reply's(info).. As of right now im very happy with the COBB ots stage 2 map. I do plan on adjusting the Cobb map this summer. I would like to get a little more out of my car but want to do it as safe as possible..There are a couple tuning shops in my area that I will prob check out..

How is a Cobb OTS map 'junk' because Cobb intentionally decided not to run as much boost as other vendors choose to do? How does that make it a junk map?

Obviously you're not too educated on the Cobb OTS maps. It's not a junk map because it's conservative, that's perfectly fine. I'm all in favor of conservative tunes and keeping my car in one piece. My reason for saying they're junk is because Cobb refused for YEARS to admit the maps they were putting out for the 07-09 models were not working and causing major overboost situations. FINALLY, this past year they realized that the 07-09 models required different maps AND that their very own SF intake doesn't work with their own OTS maps. (something the SF Intake page had said for years) I was running the Cobb SF intake, Cobb catted DP, CBE, and the OTS stg 2 map and it was overboosting well over 20 lbs regularly. It was ridiculous. I talked to them off and on for over a month and they just blamed the issues on my car having a "mechanical problem." Well gee wizz, the second I had it protuned, all my overboost issues were gone. Cobb maps FTL, the end.

FWIW if you're spending the money on going Stage 2, spend the extra $150 and get a custom tune from Infamous1. I have an AP and just had him create the Map for it. He's extremely responsive and it's worth having the piece of mind. You can always ask him for a conservative tune :)

I read a bunch of stuff about the over boosting problem but looks like COBB put out a revised map sometime in 08, when I got my Cobb av2 it did NOT have the latest firmware(v.103ptm) but i did download it and have had NO problems with over boosting(highest boost has been 17psi).. And my AFR has been good, so far ... Again I will say that Im happy with the Cobb stage 2 map and my car is running stronger than ever(its nice to pull up to a mustang gt and take it out);)

this is from COBBS website

"<<<<<CRITICAL INFORMATION!!! CRITICAL INFORMATION!!! CRITICAL INFORMATION!!!>>>>>

Revision Notes:

1.03 – The calibration has been updated to eliminate the overboost conditions when

the car is driven under heavy loads or held at WOT from too low of an RPM. Turbo

controls were also enhanced to help prevent an overboost condition."

^^^^ it has been really cold up here 9 degrees(f) and mid 20's during the day and I have seen no boost spike(17psi). I have the cobb mounted in the car so I see real time data and I have been watching it like a hawk.. thanks for all the input and suggestion(luv the erz)

Obviously you're not too educated on the Cobb OTS maps. It's not a junk map because it's conservative, that's perfectly fine. I'm all in favor of conservative tunes and keeping my car in one piece. My reason for saying they're junk is because Cobb refused for YEARS to admit the maps they were putting out for the 07-09 models were not working and causing major overboost situations. FINALLY, this past year they realized that the 07-09 models required different maps AND that their very own SF intake doesn't work with their own OTS maps. (something the SF Intake page had said for years) I was running the Cobb SF intake, Cobb catted DP, CBE, and the OTS stg 2 map and it was overboosting well over 20 lbs regularly. It was ridiculous. I talked to them off and on for over a month and they just blamed the issues on my car having a "mechanical problem." Well gee wizz, the second I had it protuned, all my overboost issues were gone. Cobb maps FTL, the end.

You may have a point on the 07+ . My experience with the 05-06 has been nothing but positive. I took the Cobb map and leaned it out, while pulling about a degree of timing. The boost control isn't a big deal on the 05-06 because I think they have a bigger restricter.

On the search for a new DD...

^^^^ it has been really cold up here 9 degrees(f) and mid 20's during the day and I have seen no boost spike(17psi). I have the cobb mounted in the car so I see real time data and I have been watching it like a hawk.. thanks for all the input and suggestion(luv the erz)

Like I said, if it is working for you... go with it. Not all cars are the same, can't explain the "whys" sometimes.

Cobb OTS maps did not work for me. But I have family members that love them, lol.

Archived