LegacyGT.com

Deciding between Used S4 and Legacy GT

I'm also looking at used Audi S4s (00-02) slightly under $20k. I've test driven them, and they are great. My only holdback is reliability. Has anyone driven one here? I have yet to test drive a Legacy GT, only the non-gt version, and the build quality on the S4 seems higher quality. I would assume so, since it's a $40k car when it was sold new.

Hmm a hard call in my books. The S4 is a rocket of a car but then again its old technology and the GT will keep u in good company for a few more years to come. Who can argue with a 3yr Warranty and a great resale value when u go to sell. The only thing u really can do is, test drive both and see which one fits your profile at the end of the day.

All the best with the decision.

Adam.

I just exited a lease on an A6 2.7T (Same engine as the 00 -02 S4) with a sport package.

And no, I would not recommend. you will be eaten alive by repair costs. And looking at how the Euro has been doing against the $ lately, I'd reconsider.

I really think a Legacy GT is a better all-around car. The handling is better, but then the A6 was a porker. Not that the A4 is that much lighter either.

Go with a Subie

Sounds like sound advice to me.....

Adam.

I just exited a lease on an A6 2.7T (Same engine as the 00 -02 S4) with a sport package.

And no, I would not recommend. you will be eaten alive by repair costs. And looking at how the Euro has been doing against the $ lately, I'd reconsider.

I really think a Legacy GT is a better all-around car. The handling is better, but then the A6 was a porker. Not that the A4 is that much lighter either.

Go with a Subie

The S4 has reliability problems, but the interior is much nicer than the Legacy. I think that the car handles better than the legacy as well. If the motor wasn't so darned unreliable, I'd say get the S4.

You can't argue with a warranty (unless you are the mod happy type) :p

Sup Blue dragon ????????

Unsure about the reliability issues, I just think that the legacy is a better buy for the money and the extra warranty that u will get including the resale value when u sell it for an M :D

Adam.

This is EXACTLY the comparison I went through over the last few weeks. I drove a couple of used S4s... both dealer and private-sale. They're sweet cars, no doubt about it.

But the Legacy (with the taupe interior) seems much roomier inside. (I don't know what the measurements say, that's how it FEELS.) And being 6'4", the S4 was a bit tight for me. I disliked a few other things in the Audi cabin (such as impossible-to-see red illumination on the instrument panel). And neither one had a nav system. :-(

With an automatic transmission on both cars, the driving experience (as far as I could tell on a test drive!) seemed similar.

And the repair record of the Audis is atrocious. Both from quantitative data (Consumer Reports) and anecdotes (from friends with Audis).

I wound up spending $30K for a brand-new Legacy GT rather than $20K for a used S4... and I'm completely happy with my decision. Your mileage may vary. :-)

Stephen

I owned an S4, now a LGT. Loved my S4 but I was worried about turbos blowing and repair costs. Out of warranty the Audi will be very expensive to own and maintain. Sure the Audi has a bit better interior quality, but the Subaru is much improved and I think it is fine. I love my LGT and am planning on keeping it for a long time.

In 33K miles here are some of the problems I had with my S4:

CEL would come on every few months (typical VAG)

needed a new yaw sensor

climate control fan replaced

Also there is a huge theft problem in NJ, the car and the headlights are popular with the punks.

So I sold it, I really did love that car. I always say the LGT is a 9/10 S4.

Water cooled, water to oil cooler, easy/open access for cooling, turbo design. It also makes the turbo easy to access an experienced mechanic can swap a turbo in a subaru in less than an hour.

Audi packs thier turbos in a tiny space in the corner of the engine compartment near the firewall hidden behind hot exhaust piping and cylnder banks where it is impossible to get significant airflow. Hope to god this never blows because If it ever does you are looking at least 2 weeks worth of work as they have to pull the motor and tranny as well as removing most of the front clip and suspension and drivetrain components to gain access to the turbos.

http://www.msnusers.com/dirtymotorsports/s4ttswap.msnw

Acceleration wise they are pretty similar, higher speeds I would put my $ on the S4 but I'm talking 100+. The LGT seems a bit more nimble to me, I had the Avant and it just felt really heavy. The S4 barely has any turbo lag, the LGT a bit more. The S4 makes max torque starting at 1850 rpms, so that's why it pulls so hard off the line, I do think the LGT is just as fast. Speaking of the turbos..I think the little K03's in the S4 are a bit small or overworked for the car. I had to accelerate quickly one morning because a car cut me off in my S4, ever since then the turbos had the siren noise when the engine was cold, I was probably 50% throttle when this happened. Do a search on Audiworld for blown turbos..I'm sure a bunch have had no problems at all with turbos, but if they do go, plan on about $4-6K to do the job. You are supposed to remove the engine, something like 25-30 hrs labor.

I don't know much about Subaru turbos, but from all the reading I have done on Nasioc and here, I have never heard of any turbo problems. I actually looked at a WRX before I got my S4.

You really need to go drive the Scooby, In my opinion if you want a new car that will provide fun for a long time, this is the best deal out there. 2 of my buds have brand new E46 M3 and yeah they are king of the road...but I was thinking..That car costs twice my LGT, I'm very happy with my purchase, I'll just go drive theirs :-)

Any insight on why Subaru turbos are more reliable? I haven't heard of any turbos blowing on Imprezas as even a long-term problem.
The K03's on the S4's are seriously weak... Just too small really.. Lots of shafts breaking...

Considering a subaru turbo swap costs about 1/14 of the S4, the S4's turbos have to be 14 times more reliable.. :lol::lol::lol:

i know 4 guys with 00-02 s4's. on each, the turbos blew at between 38k and 48k. i have another friend who worked at a porsche/audi service department, and according to him as well, it was a very very common problem.

edit: but the s4 has the respect subarus still dont have

• 4 weeks later...
I test drove a Limited GT 5-speed Sedan this weekend. I think I'm going to go with the S4. I still prefer 6-speed with Xenon lights. I didn't like the Legacy's stereo when I turned up the music. Very poor sound quality from the factory. The car and good punch from the turbos that is very similar to the S4, and handles decent. The shifts are very notchy and inaccurate. The car needs a short shifter. I think it's a good value for the price, but it's not right for me. The salesman also made me wait more than 30 min. for a test drive, and gave me the normal salesman bs that I can't deal with. What a joke.

Archived